tank not getting more "purple." ideas?

Chew, I've read that a lot in the past too. Tanks with tons of light usually have a lighter purple coralline from what I've seen, but that could be from so many other factors. But I have read many times about coralline not doing as well in higher PAR.

Chew, I've read that a lot in the past too. Tanks with tons of light usually have a lighter purple coralline from what I've seen, but that could be from so many other factors. But I have read many times about coralline not doing as well in higher PAR.
I agree with that 100%, happened to me when i changed my lights... it was still there but much much lighter in color...

I dunno mine is deep purple for what its worth, it was lighter more pinkish before i got my Mg in check.

I think there may be a point when to much is to much for corals however coraline I find relies highly on chemistry and color temperature more than anything else.

purple up is just ground aragonite sand. Its not even soluble. Kalk will do much more for your tank.

FWIW, the Phoenix 14K is a 20K bulb.

Thats very interesting rich and a valid point however i think the 14k pheonix tends to be more in the 20k range based on ballast driving it.

John at sea creature for instance is using PFO's magnetic ballasts and PFO pendants, it does look like 20k lighting to me, my tank however if you ask your wife tends to be more in the true 14k range powered by ARO electronic ballasts in reef optix 3 reflectors, looks like a crisp white ,my actinic gives it just a touch of blue to make the colors pop more.

btw rich other than the redbug's how all the corals doing?

Last edited:
I am starting to believe in the "too much light" theory too. Or, perhaps it is a spectrum issue. Had a lot of coralline in my 180 when I was running Phoenix bulbs. It was deep purple and spread fairly quickly. Once I switched to Giesemann bulbs, much of the coralline started to fade and bleach. I am not getting growth on exposed areas of the rockwork. However, it grows great in overhangs, overflows, and my fuge.

CA is 460, Alk is 8-8.2, and Mg is ~1400.

JD

btw rich other than the redbug's how all the corals doing?

I lost the yellow humilis. It came in pretty light, and just got lighter and lighter. I think I may have started it out too hight.

The rest of the stuff looks pretty good though. The smaller frags are encrusting, and there was a mille that was pretty decent sized thats definitely bigger, although isnt encrusting much. Its turned a light kinda pastel green.

That millie if my memory serves me correctly, was the darker brown one of the ones i gave you, I think but am not sure that it may be a tricolor or multicolor, Mine has hints of dark blue, green, red on different branches. It was an unknown browned out when i got it a while ago i just kinda tucked it in a corner and just recently gave it more light.

The yellow humilus for some reason has died on everyone :( I seem to be the only one that can keep it alive and even I'm still struggling with it. It's also wild.

coralline

Well everyone is all over this one already, magnesium should be your answer. Lighting comes into play as some have said but we won't go there right now. Good luck :)

well, i hit skiptons this morning and bought a Salifert Mg test kit. Looks like i'm not as low on mag as i thought. tested out to a little over 1200... i'll go get some epsom salts tomorrow to gradually dose it up to 1350 - 1400 or so, but i think i'm also going to order a phoenix 14k bulb for the sunpod, as well. maybe a little extra blue will help...

Back