tank sump\hang on back redesign

Deafasa

BRS Member
Hello everyone,
I have just moved my tank from Brookline to Arlington. I have it (55 gallon) up with only a powerhead for circulation. It is silent, which I like. It was hooked up with a sump using a lifereef overflow and an Iwaki 30 RXT (the pressure rated pump, not the circulation one.) The return was Teed into an Aqua C EV120, which is overkill for the tank. To say the least, it was a bit noisy. It was in the living room, so this was always a downside to the tank. What can I do to keep close the tank as silent as possible. Should I ditch the sump and go with hang on back skimmer, such as a backpack? Should I ditch the Iwaki and go with a quiet one pump?
Any ideas would be most appreciated.

which part of it is noisy?

is it vibration/hum from the pump/plumbing?

is it splashing/gurgling?

Both. There is a humming noise from the pump and gurgling noise from the overflow. I made a stockman standpipe for it, but it constantly needs to be adjusted. Even then it isn't what I would call quiet, but at least it doesn't sound like a toilet bowl.

Jeff

The stockman/durso (same principle, different implementation) should be silent themselves, but will cause some splashing and gurgling in the sump. How much water flow is going through the drain lines, and how big of pvc piping is it?

The return is 3\4 which then splits into 3\4 for the main return and 1\2 for the spray bar. The drain is 1". As to flow through I have no idea, Maybe 400 to 500 gallons per hour?

Hi Scott,
Just about in lexington on Peidmont St. Halfway between route 2 and mass ave.
Jeff

jeff,

live 1 block away! on syliva street off mass ave. intersects udine. i could drop by if you like.

Hi Scott,
Good to know your in the area. Does Randy live in this section of Arlington as well or is he over in the morningside area?
Anyway, not sure if there is anything to do at the moment as the plumbing is mainly disconnected from the move. The couple of fish that are left are downstairs in a 10 gallon. My female false percula went carpet surfing the other day, so I am down to two fish. So basically the tank is some rock, some anthelia, macro algea, and a frogspawn. Ironically, the frogspawn is doing better without the main pump hooked up. I may take you up on your offer next week though.

Jeff

For what its worth, I have a 55 with a HOB skimmer and fuge. It does not make a sound, I keep everything from anemones-clams-SPS, so the water quality/volume has not been an issue, which was my first concern going sumplesss. With some crafty rock placement, you cannot see the returns or pumps.

What are you using for a skimmer? That was the route I was thinking of going, a HOB skimmer and then the HOB fuge by CPR. The noise has been bugging me since I switched to a sump. The tank was right next to the couch, which was great for viewing, but you couldn't hear anything else very well.

Jeff

Back