Tankmate for Aggressive Clown

jdeb101

Non-member
I've had my maroon clownfish for about 13 years now. Throughout those years I cannot tell you how many other tank mates I've gone through. Many "mysteriously" perish within the first few days, while others sometimes last a handful of years. No rhyme or reason as to which tank mate my clown will accept to live with, his current tank mate is a pajama cardinal and they've been together roughly 3-4 years. I would like to add another tank mate but obviously want to avoid anything that would danger my current fish, but also don't want to just throw more money down the toilet. Any suggestions?

Watchmen goby and his friend shrimp? They hide a lot and would be mostly safe I guess.

Dottyback? Possibly be a bit aggressive toward the cardinal but very different body shape/color should help. Should hold its own against the clown

Firefish? They do hide some but very quick and can avoid bullying in both ways. Docile vs cardinal

How big is the tank? My oldest fish is a maroon clown as well. He may not be killing his tank mates he just may be more durable than they are. Mine only picks on the clarkii Clown and me. A trio of green chromis would be good. Fast swimmers

How big is the tank? My oldest fish is a maroon clown as well. He may not be killing his tank mates he just may be more durable than they are. Mine only picks on the clarkii Clown and me. A trio of green chromis would be good. Fast swimmers

tank is smaller side,36 gallon cube.
I’ve witnessed him harass and kill many fish, including a school of 5 chrom once. Lol

Dottyback? Possibly be a bit aggressive toward the cardinal but very different body shape/color should help. Should hold its own against the clown

Firefish? They do hide some but very quick and can avoid bullying in both ways. Docile vs cardinal

funny you say dottyback. I had a royal dotty years ago with him, living happily for quite some time until the dotty got too aggressive and started nipping his fins! Also three fire fish were some of his first tankmakes (my profile pic) and lived happily for prob a couple years until they mysteriously perished one by one.

tank is smaller side,36 gallon cube.
I’ve witnessed him harass and kill many fish, including a school of 5 chrom once. Lol
well then I guess we're scratching the chromis idea. It may be that a fish that doesn't swim in the same type of area that he does, like the Watchman goby, maybe the way to go. Good luck

Back