Tank's cloudy, any reason I shouldn't add LR?

Banik

Non-member
Simple question, really. My tank's cloudy from adding the sand. Any reason that I shouldn't have my (newly arrived) live rock in there to cycle the tank? I don't think there is... and there's not much I could do about it otherwise... but still.

55G
Remora
3xMJ900
80degF
1.024 salinity
7.95ph

What Ray said is true. However some of the sandstorm will settle on... the rocks. You'll have to use a turkey baster to blow the sand off the rock and have a new sandstorm, and then again and again until all sand is settled on the bottom.

Ya but as he blows it into the water colum the skimmer should pull out some of what doesnt settle and the storm should get less and less each time.

BE sure that your rock is very firmly placed into the sand. anything which digs in the sand can cause a rockslide.

The rocks will help the sand settle quicker since it has nooks/surface for sand to get trapped. Just use the turkey baster to blow it off the rock after.

It definitely does help clear the sandstorm. It cleared more in the 20 hours since I put it in that the 3 days that sand's been blowing around. Now I just have to deal with a pH issue... *sigh*

The bacteria from the rock colonize onto the sand which actually makes it settle out of the water column

Back