Technika Refractometer

Looks OK. But the display scale looks confusing. It shows that it reads in % instead of specific gravity or ppt (parts per thousand). It might come with a conversion chart. I would ask the seller. Also ask where it's made. The blue ones that everyone is selling now is made well, but I've found it needs to be calibrated at natural seawater level (SG 1.0264).

Here's a great article by RHF that you should read if your going to get a refractometer.
I made the standard he talks about, and found my refract to be off a bit.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

denvig said:
I think you can buy one from our local sponsors for less $$$$$

I agree Dennis! I got mine at Aqua Addicts for $45. Great deal and no shipping cost!! Mike told me they have lots of them.

i have been wanting to go there, but no car+loads of work=going nowhere. oh well, sooner or later i will make my way up there. i am thinking about going with the dr fosters and smith model, since it is on sale in there catalogue.

i bought the one from dr's foster + smith, and i like it. it's better than a black one i saw on ebay (tiny scale viewing area).

however, i wish i had bought the one from aqua addicts...it's easier to read.
no tax either! plus their dry goods are reasonably priced.

i just bought one from dr fosters today. it was 38 dollars, thats a pretty good price. plus i got a few other things too.

Back