Temp at 92d AHHH - How bad is this?

If it makes you feel any better it happened to me too. I got home on Friday to a 87 degree water in my tank. I turned th A/C on full blast opened my Sump's door and put a couple of Fans blowing on the water. I lost my Skunk + Fire shrimp and 2 emerald crabs. Thank God nothing else. I would have been really pissed if my BTA died and ruinned the water! I'm seriously considering buying a chiller but I want to try a cheaper solution first. For those of you who use fans how well does it work in keeping the Temp down? I was considering getting a couple of these on Ebay. I wonder if they would do the job. http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Halide-Aquarium-Chiller-Cooling-Fan-4-fan_W0QQitemZ230134970490QQihZ013QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Fans are extremely effective at cooling a tank by increasing evaporation. IMO every tank should have fans over the sump in summer time. Add some over the display if you need more cooling.

This is definitely the first step in addressing overheating. They're much much much cheaper to buy and to run than a chiller.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It sucks when things like this happen.

Fans are great for cooling by evaporation, but keep an eye on your water level and have topoff water ready.

Last edited:
Back