Terrible experience at Aquarium Gallery - Hudson, NH

The last time i was there (probably a year now) to show BRS card at check out, they do not accept it saying that I have to pay for $75 AG membership to get discount. Not a big deal whether or not few percents off after all most of the members visit the store have spend more on gas to drive up there, it just strike me at the time that the store is one of the sponsor to the club that is.

Last edited:
The last time i was there (probably a year now) to show BRS card at check out, they do not accept it saying that I have to pay for $75 AG membership to get discount. Not a big deal whether or not few percents off after all most of the members visit the store have spend more on gas to drive up there, it just strike me at the time that the store is one of the sponsor to the club that is.

Sorry Richard sounds like someone was trying to get $75 out of you:(
Once again before my time. I don't even undertsnad that:eek:

Myk

A number of things I have seen are outrageous, but Richard is correct. The BRS discount was dropped for a while and a AG loyalty club was "established". For 75.00 you received a better return policy, a discount on livestock and a "deep" discount on dry goods. Other things were brought up but I cannot say if the limited edition buys or any of the other ideas ever made it off the ground. Either way it seems it was never put on paper or the current managers would know about it.

I have been to AG quite a few times and have always had a great experience there. I have purchased one fish, loads of crabs, food, and dry goods. Everyone has been very patient with all my questions and extremely helpful, particularly with carrying the salt bucket out to my car. I have recieved unexpected discounts and freebies. I love the seating, I frequently rendezvous with NH friends and use the convienent seating as an excuse to meet there. I am sure in the future I may purchase livestock which will not survive, but I trust the risks of keeping marine life alive are balanced between me as a hobbiest and AG as the retailer.

Almost 40% of the money I have spent on my aquarium has been spent at AG. For me, the way this has been handled, the tone of many of the responses, has not been what I would like to see. I do run a business. I know what it takes to run a business. If I spoke to any of my customers with the tone that is reflected in this thread, I would be out of business. But I am done with this thread, no more posting from me. I got screwed by the change of policy but fortunately it was not an expensive fish. Good luck.

I never heard of such a thing. That's outrageous!

Thats how i felt the moment i heard it, the reason that i never go back since, not because of the 10% off.

I do not know that the management has completely change since the last time I was there, sound like I need to make a trip up again to see the different. :D

Thats how i felt the moment i heard it, the reason that i never go back since, not because of the 10% off.

I do not know that the management has completely change since the last time I was there, sound like I need to make a trip up again to see the different. :D

Yep new crew! See ya soon Richard.:D

Just went to AG for the 1st time ever yesterday. i needed some inverts and after seeing the price list both here and on their site i couldnt think of a better place to get them. got some snails, crabs, and shrimp, saved about 75% over the other LFS and so far they are all doin great. I was a little dissapointed they didnt have a serpent starfish i wanted, (an alternative was suggested, which i liked) but every buisness runs out of stuff every once in a while.
not sure who i talked to but he was very thorough with my brother and I, answering all our questions, and even taking the time to ring up our order seperately.

the store is about 1.5hrs from me and i will gladly take the trip up there again next time i need some more inverts.

on a side note, the tanks were in MUCH better condition than a lot of other LFS, only 1 with excessive algae, and i only spotted 1 fish with ick (poor tangy), which raises my confidence level that my stuff will survive.

I'd like to put in my 2 cents about Aquarium Gallery. I'm a fairly new reefer. Set up my first tank 11 months ago. Before I set up the tank, I researched everything for several months, and I visited Aquarium Gallery and two other stores. I talked to employees at each of these LFS'. Brendan at Aquarium Gallery spent a lot of time answering my bazillions of questions on several of my visits. He never tried to push me into any particular system, or any system at all, just answered my questions and was really patient. Because of all of the time he spent with me, not only did they gain a very loyal customer, but I ended up buying one of the most expensive systems in the store. Not because I was pressured, but because I loved the system. I ended up buying a Elos System 80. You are occassionally going to run into something that doesn't make you happy, no matter what business you deal with. No business is perfect. I can tell you, that the employee I spoke to at a different store, gave me some really poor advise!! Does that mean they are a terrible LFS? Not necessarily....just one unknowledgeable employee. They tried to steer me away from setting up my system with live rock, and tried to push me towards using Bio-Balls. Luckily I had researched enough FIRST....so that I didn't just follow that poor advise!! Then they tried to talk me into not setting up a real reef tank, they suggested fake corals. Can you believe that?? Yikes! All of the employees at the Aquarium Gallery are awesome...Mike..Ray...Anthony and the rest. They're all very helpful and friendly and love what they do. Are they perfect? No, but they definitely strive to be the best. Keep up the great work guys!

My 53 gallon Elos Reef:
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/matsis1234/?action=view&current=32fa6803.pbw

Last edited by a moderator:
The BRS is less than 5% of our business, and at times can go several days before we even see a Forum member of any kind.

So, we don't know who is a BRS member or not unless they say something.

I have a very difficult time reconciling these two statements, which are from the same post.

I have been in Aquarium Gallery dozens of times, and I have never, not once, been in there when there hasn't been another forum member there. Not once, and I'm sure I don't recognize most forum members.

Only good experiences

Shop at AG quite often, closest shop to my house. Never had any issues. People do not understand that marine livestock with collection, transportation, holding then delivery to the lfs can be a crap shoot. Over 17 years I've had many a speciman die for no reason at all while all the other tankmates are triving and water quality was top notch. People don't mind throwing their money away on scratch tickets but when a $60 fish kicks they are in rebellion looking for someone to blame. Get a grip!

Please only use this forum for sharing your experiences with a store. No discussion of store practices, or of previous posts. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back