Testing used water return pump....is it enough???

Leroy

Pres. NE Matchcover Club
I just tested a used pump for my water return. The fittings are dry fitted just to see if the pump will at least spit out some water. The motor hadn't been run in years so I had to do some work to get it going, nothing serious, little tweaking. I was told that the seal may leak so I had to see before I actually put it to use. When the pump kicked in it really spit some water so I had to hold on to the PVC from the torque which I didn't expect.

What do you think, will it be enough to run the skimmer, water return, media reactors, phosphate reactors and water changes and other water circulation in the tank that's needed? BTW I got a slightly wet messing around with this once the fittings started to loosen up and the water on the ground is not from the seal.

I had to share after it kicked in and my words were "Holy sh!t":eek:

Attachments

• Return Pump.jpg
    Return Pump.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Return Pump1.jpg
    Return Pump1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 116
whats the gph on it..its usually listed on the side??

what size tank..what is the overflow rate?

whats the gph on it..its usually listed on the side??

what size tank..what is the overflow rate?
It's not listed on the motor but was told it'll do 2500gph. It's for a 120g tank, 75g fuge and 30g sump.

Are you plumbing that to the basement Leroy?
Yes it'll be plumbed in the basement so it'll have 14' to pump up to the main tank hooked up to a Wavy Sea and I'll also build two plumbed devices on both ends of the tank with the Hydro type of rotating heads. It'll be pushing water through other devices on the refugium and the sump.

Looks like a good start to a jacuzzi Leroy:eek::D
I think that's where the pump may have come from. I couldn't pass up the price. It'll be returned in corals, DIY projects, and help needed.

It's only in the prototype stage right now, so I'm in decision about using it. That's why I "Holy crapped it"

I think that pump will be fine with 2500gph @14ft. You could jump over to RC and check the head loss with the calculator. I would use penductors on the return though for a little extra.

Thanks for the input Kevin. I have seen a head loss calculator on RC a few weeks back as I researched some pumps. Penductors.....hmmm OK, I'll read up on them and add that to the DIY project list. Thanks

testing used water return pump

i use the same pump for a 250 gallon reef tank with built in overflo with a 1 1/2" drain split into 2 drains plumbed into the basement the tank has 2 1" returns with a sump of 72 gallons of water. and let me tell you that pump is very powerful the rating of 2500gph is low for that pump its more like 3,500 to 4,000 gph i had to dial it down with a ball valve. im not running anything else on the pump but i could run uv light, chiller, protein skimmer, with out a problem. the other thing is the pump is loud so i hope your doing it in the basement. the head on this system is up 10ft. with 4 elbows threw 1" pipe into 2 returns split into 4 spray bars and the noise from the water going over the over flow is loud i had to add a bunch of bio-balls into the over flow to make it quite.::

Attachments

• DSC02100.JPG
    DSC02100.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 108
I would say you can run a few things from that pump. I am running a dart at 3600 gph to run main tank and also supplies my fuge and it is only about 3/4 open. I would put a manifold off the return side to run 3 or 4 things.Hook them up one at a time until you find a balance so the pump can run wide open or close to it. just a suggestion

Back