Tetra Chemicals Calcium Chloride Availability (dowflake replacement)

There's a distributor in MA, but they would need to bring in an entire truck worth of it since they don't normally carry it. It's about 18 pallets 2-3000 lbs each so about 800-900 bags of 50lb bags. Do we have enough members for a group order :D

Time to start a business? ;)

Did you already talk to the distributor? I find it very hard to believe that you must order a whole truckload. One pallet maybe but not not a whole truckload. However, if that is the case, it would be cheaper to find someone that already has it that would ship it to us.

It only comes in 110lb heavy wall fiber drums. But the site doesnt say how they sell the liquid stuff.

Have your tried the manufacturer directly? I bet they want to sell there product and might be able to get you in touch with someone who sells smaller amounts. Also look into the liquid food grade. It may be more widely avalable.

Yes, I've been talking to them. They don't have anyone on the northeast selling the Food Grade or Briner's choice which is such a bummer. We could order a pallet of their "Tech Grade", which they say is equivalent Dowflake which is also a tech grade. They also said that their bromide content is 6000PPM less than dowflake. If I remember correctly, dowflake is 8000PPM bromide. Plus, Tetra tech grade is only like 30-40% CaCl2 by content, so that is not ideal.

Does anyone know of a retailer that sell's briner's grade CaCL? Because Tetra might be able to get them to carry the line if we know of one locally.

Anyway, this is not looking so good. Maybe I can get someone on the west coast to see if there is a retailer near them, but shipping 50lbs cross country probably wouldn't be the cheapest either.

Looks like it might be time to finally look for a calcium reactor (?) Does anyone have new Dowflake they are looking to get rid of? :)

Last edited:
Back