Thank you for a offers, I appreciate it!

Bobbofin

Non-member
Thank you for the offers, I appreciate it!

Thank for all the offers for frags and such from several people. The majority of people in this club are very kind. My tank diaster coming to an end.
The short of it is use only Coralife UV shielded bulbs in a Coralife clip-on Aqualight. If you do not UV rays will get past the 1/4 round open section and the open ends of the "c" shaped glass shield. UV rays will reflect off the reflector and into the tank the same way UV rays reflect off the water while you are fishing or the snow while your skiing. They'll give you a sunburn on your face even if you are wearing a hat with a bill. Reflected UV rays can still carry up to 75% of their original power. I've investigated UV rays since the coral burning situation, I found lots of interseting facts about skin cancer, sunburn and such that are relevent to what happened. Bottom line, keep that unshielded MH bulb completely and 100% enclosed behind glass and encapsulated in the fixture!
All tolled, I lost 3 of 5 fish, a goby, chromis and the sunburst anthias. All the soft corals except the zoos and rics were a total loss. I took the rocks out and scraped the melted flesh into the basket with a hard plastic bristle brush. Things are starting to come back. Greg Hiller said they would. About 40% of the zoos are semi opening now, 8 days later. To my surprise the candy cane is coming back, it looks a little deformed but I think it will live. I've tested the water several times, everything is a-okay.

Last edited:
Back