The Fish Nook (Acton MA)

Bobolink

Non-member
I just had a grood experience at The Fish Nook in Acton. I went in looking for live rock because I was unsatisfied with the look/quality of other LFS' live rock. At first I suffered from sticker shock because the premium rock was selling for $11.00/pound. Ouch. I almost left. But there were some really nice display pieces in the display tanks. These pieces were large and had wonderful caverns in them. They were completely encrusted with coraline algae and sponge. I didn't expect that these rocks were for sale because there were so gorgeous, but I asked if I could get them and I was give a quick and friendly "yes, anything in our display tanks is for sale."

Because the pieces were so beautiful I was willing to pay the premium, and am I glad I did. When I got the rock home I noticed at least 3 small tube worms, and a whole cluster of healthy brain coral on the rocks. I also got a few premium hitch hikers such as a blue leg hermit and a still-unidentified snail.

The guy there, Shawn (Sean?) was clearly a reef nut. He was very knowledgeable and fun to talk to. He has done a great job with the livestock, which all looked healthy, and was genuinely interested in talking about reef tanks. He has three large quarantine tanks in which all new arrivals are placed before being put into display tanks and offered for sale. he told me that if I wanted to order a fish or a coral, he could do it for near-Internet prices, and he quarantine it in his tanks. I only had to pay once he established that the animal was healthy.

So here we have the classic dilemma: The store is great, but expensive. In my opinion the friendly knowledgeable staff at the Fish Nook are worth the price. I expect to go back often.

Good for you.
I have gone there several times in the last 2 yrs and they are EXTREAMLY expensive!Also tend to be holier then thou... I'm guessing you haven't gone to some of the BRS sponsors.

I also have shopped there happily many times before. Sean is a good guy who helped me get my feet wet in the saltwater world. They are a bit pricey, but you can sometimes find good deals.

I bought my nephew his first clown fish there and I like the guys, they are very knowledgeable but I agree they are a bit pricey.

My nephew has been buying there because he is right around the corner and he does get some great information form the guys so he is ok with some of the added costs.

John

I go to the fish nook fairly often. The staff is great, and they have helped me a lot. The prices are a bit much, but I have bought quite a bit of my rock from them because some of the stuff is very nice. I also bought all my fish fish from them. I have seen some sick fish in the store, but they are always seperated, and not for sale. Very nice LFS, just a bit pricy.

I go to the Nook often, as it's right down the street from me. Sean has worked with me several times in getting things that he doesn't carry in the store. I've gotten some excellent pricing from him, and he's always been in great getting back to me when getting pricing.

I've also purchased fish from there, and would much rather pay a little bit more money at a place that takes care of the fish, like it's their own aquarium. They've always got their fish quarantined, ensuring that the customer doesn't buy one that is sick or newly shipped.

I don't mind paying a little more for a place that takes a lot of care in what they do, and I like knowing I'm supporting a local business as I try to purchase dry goods through them rather than online.

I agree with Willray about them being holier than thou and the prices being outragous. They don't use skimmers at all. Every tank has a fuge. They are rather religious about non-skimmer use. I really don't care for "my way is the best way" attitude. Sean was nice to me when I visit there which is not too often but he is rather opinionated.

I don’t fault them for their strong unwavering beliefs. I know that I certainly have a few of my own. The staff is clearly knowledgeable about reef tanks, even if quirky about some things such as skimming. My guess is that The Fish Nook gets a lot of customers who are not very experienced in the hobby (they sell birds, rabbits, and reptiles too), and so the staff tries very hard to educate its customers about a reef tank’s requirements. When you are as experienced in the hobby as many of us are, this teaching may come off as a bit preachy, but I think the preachyness is well intended. I know I cringe when I read about a person adding an emperor angelfish to a 30g tank. Maybe it can be done, but if I were selling the fish I may end up “preaching” to the customer about the problems I foresee with such an effort.

Another nice thing about The Fish Nook is that they use 400w MH lights on one of their SPS tanks. This is great for me because it saves me all the time of acclimating corals to my 400s.

Went there this weekend and was impressed with the staff. They spent at least a half hour answering my questions. I didn't make a purchase, but expect I will. I agree with gavinrobinson about paying extra when the fish are being cared for as if they're their own.

I purchase several corals from that place a while back. The 100% survival rate is great and I don't mind pay more for it.

They are the only store I will buy my supplies and livestock from. Bar none one of the best if not the best LFS I have come across!! I have Purchased some amazin oddball fish from there on several occasions. Every weekend they have something new and exotic in there tanks!!

I believe Shawn has his master degree in marine biology. Don't hold me to it but if I remember right that is the case. I have never bought a fish anywhere but from them. All my fish are healthy and have been alive for better than 7 years. They are very conscientious about trying to educate their customers on the purchases they are making so that they are happy. This type of customer service comes at a price and it is reflected in their pricing, but I have never left there unhappy. I can't say that about any other lfs.

Back