the start of my 120 gallon tank

jenreef

Non-member
so i put all the water from my 55 gallon dt and my 30 gallon sump into my new 120 gallon tank. i put all the sand that i had in the 55 gallon tank which was a lot because i had a 4-6" deep sand bed. and i am trying to go for a shallow sand bed in the 120. i put all the live rock that i had in the 55 gallon tank in the 120 and i bought 80lbs of live rock and added it to the tank. so abviously my tank is not going to have any cycle since everything already had bacteria from my ohter reef tank set up. so today i went to my lfs and i made the plunge and got a moorish idol and 2 cardinals. i have heard very bad things about the moorish idol, that it is so difficult to feed. so my number one worry was buying one at a lfs that i could see in person and know for sure it is eating, what is it eating, and that it is healthy. so after i seen one at my lfs that was eating like a pig on frozen brine shrimp and it looked very healthy. i had to get it

Jen:
I would watch for a cycle based on the live sand that came from a deep sand bed.
My understanding is whenever you disturb (or move) a deep sand bed you are likely to release nutrients. (hope I'm wrong here)
Also the new live rock you bought is likely to have some die off due to it's change of location / conditions.

I'm afraid the Morrish Idol purchase may have been a bit premature as well but wish you the best of luck with him.

Back