The trouble with Bubble

Tanked

Non-member
Hi all,

I noticed recently (since I changed my MH bulb I think but I doubt it's related) that I have fairly large air bubbles (the size of a fish eye) stuck on most of my rocks throughout my tank.

I chase them away with a turkey baster but they return within a day.

Any ideas ? It is most displeasing aesthetically.

Erik

I think it is very likely related.
You new bulb is probably pleasing some type of algae, which in turn releases gasses that in turn build up on your rocks.

try using the same bulb but a shorter duration to determine if its light related, i agree with the above post.

Blowing away the bubbles with a baster is probably not a good idea. I'd siphon the area. Many nuisance algae will emit gasses and create those bubbles. often, the bubbles will rise, taking a new colony of the algae with it to settle elsewhere. By siphoning, you can get a small water change done while actually taking some of the algae out.

Anyways...reducing the photoperiod (or using screen to diffuse some of the light while the new bulbs burn in/tank adjustst to new light), watching the introduction of excess nutrients, and siphoning off algae while water swapping should help out.

< D >

Back