These little Fluval CO2 canisters are killing my budget, can I convert with a 30lbs tank & fill with CO2 if so what do I use for a regulator ?

SMI

Non-member
Like I was saying I'm a construction worker and I work with tanks all day from Little Map Gas Propan etc. I love Fluval and I like the idea of providing my plants with CO2 my only complaint is the tanks are awful small and the nut for the regulator is hexagon and smooth so when you put your hands in the tank to try to make a 1/32 of an adjustment it's not a quite easily I'm not sure who thought of that but I digress I just want to know do I need to go to Home Depot and get creative with brass fittings in order to get the acetylene tank once cleaned out filled? I'll find a distributor that can fill the tank I just want to do this safely cuz it's going to be about thousand 1000 PSI, thanks Steve.

Not sure I'm following you completely are you trying to convert an acetylene tank for use with CO2 if so all tanks use different fittings called CGA's depending on the gas contained. For example a regulator fitted with acetylene CGA will not fit a tank with an CO2 CGA, so as a minimum the CGA would need changing and I would check with a gas supplier to see if they will fill a tank once used with acetylene with CO2.

Jim

What size aquarium? 5lb co2 tanks are cheap and Milwaukee makes a good, inexpensive regulator. If your tank is small, there are also regulators for 9 and 20oz co2 tanks like used for paintball guns.

20180127_151711.jpg

What size aquarium? 5lb co2 tanks are cheap and Milwaukee makes a good, inexpensive regulator. If your tank is small, there are also regulators for 9 and 20oz co2 tanks like used for paintball guns.

Wow I never thought of a paintball gun canister that's a great idea thanks again Steve. Btw I have a 30 gallon BioCube

What are we talking here? Plants or reactors? I have a paintball solenoid setup you can have.. it gets stuck all the time and I'm sick of.my vegan friends drooling on my tank.. I also have a 5lb. Tank. That costs money though. I have lots of co2 stuff. Hit me up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I was just simply looking for a more efficient effective way to dose my plants with CO2 nothing more, lol speaking of reactors look at The Silo that I built pretty effective.
20180127_192917.jpg

Maybe I'll just stick with the little Fluval canister wasn't really looking to start anything argumentative, Steve :)

If you even need one. I've gone without co2 on my planted tanks for the past 10 years. It's not always a necessity. I'm not the biggest seachem excel fan, as I've had some bad experience's, but it could be a solution to your setup/biotope. If my memory serves me right from your past photos, I don't recall any demanding plants in your tank. Either way, I'd swing by a airgas shop/ welding supply shop, and see what they can do/say after checking out your tank. They won't touch it if it isn't current in its inspection. Lot's of people have lot's of success with paintball tanks, but I'd go on tpt, and see what others have done in regards to those. Do you have a diffuser/bubble counter? That's something you should invest in as well.

Last edited:
problem solved can I go with Fluval canisters lower dosage diffusing via powerhead by the way Wood River I love Milwaukee I love Makita but since when do they make anything cheap you walk into FW Webb and I swear there's a cover charge LOL
20180129_194431.jpg

Funny, I have been a Dewalt user for almost 15 years and am currently making the switch to the red stuff. I have been using some of their various M12 stuff for a while so I figure why not give the M18 a shot? I am loving it so far!

Back