Tips for catching wrasse

sduggs929

Non-member
Hi everyone I added a marble Wrasse to my tank a little over a month ago. This past week he has gone after my clown fish. It has gotten pretty bad so I put my clown fish in a little buddy box I had( to keep them safe). I don't want to keep them in there for longer than needed so I want to catch the wrasse. I know a lot of people have some success with cutting a 2L bottle and doing the DIY fish trap with food. I was curious if there were any other tips or traps I could try. I understand it might take a couple days but I'm willing to be patient and want to really try to get him this weekend. Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

I have been thawing frozen food then putting it into a fish net. When i stick it in the tank many of the fish swim right in to get the food. It may take a few days to build up their trust before you can scoop them up and crush their souls.

Yeah I was thinking of maybe getting a real trap and placing food in it if I can’t get him in a couple days I’ll try that. And I have seen several people using the net feeding method which is something I’m definitely going to try tonight and see if I can train him to swim into it

I tried for weeks once to catch a wrasse then one day I filled a wine carafe with mysis shrimp and pellets (obviously without wine). He went right into it within about 5 minutes and I easily lifted out the carafe with the wrasse in it.

I had success catching a marble wrasse recently. I tried and tried and mostly failed for 2-3 weeks. What worked was I noticed whenever I put my hands in the tank the wrasse would immediately swim into the back corner of the tank and bury itself in the sand. One time I was able to see exactly where it buried itself so I went in with both bare hands, sifted blindly through the sand until I felt him, then I grabbed him and placed him into a bucket until I could re-home him. Good luck, it stinks when there is a bully in the tank.

Back