>>>To Control or not to Control<<<

I use a RKL and would not keep a tank again without one...

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

I idnt buy one yet. But I have been doing a lot of research as well as asking fellow Boston Reefer members and it ooks like the RKL is an excelent controller. So that is what I will buy.

From what I've read, heard, experienced I would not go with the "light" version of anything cause if you like it and want to do more with it you'll spend more upgrading it to make it work.

I use an AC jr. It's a bit old now I guess but you can usually find them for $100 with a temp and ph probe along with the 8 plug chord used.

I have had a reefkeeper lite level 3 for years and would never go without one again. The best money ive ever spent when it comes to reef goodies IMO

Apex and could never go without.
Like a microwave, never know how good they are until you get one and then can never live without it :)

I have an Apex Jr. with the following add-ons: VDM, PM1, EB8, and breakout box. I like it a lot and wouldn't want to run a tank without one.

Sadly, one of the outlets on the main Apex Jr. went bad and now I'm without the controller while Neptune does whatever they are going to do. Their support in this case is severely lacking in my opinion. After 30 days they don't offer cross-shipping and you're forced to send it in. I've been running without the controller for about a week now; had to wire up a DC power supply to keep my dimmable lights going, and I'm doing all the lights/temp/on/off manually. What a PITA! :)

Other than this outlet issue the only 'problem' I have had is that the network address gets messed up sometimes after I unplug it or change my network. Usually it resolves after a bit.

Anyways, whatever you decide to go with, make sure you know their support policies before you buy.

I have an RKL and as Tone said, would never keep a tank with out one again.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I never thought I would buy a controller, however, I bought a GHL ProFilux and love it. I would now never run a tank without a controller. Makes life so much easier.

So I am thinking about one too, but how much of what I have will benefit from adding controller?

Heater - important (currently controlled by ehiem jager only)

Radion and
MP10W which are controlled by computer on radion

Tunze Osmo ATO - usuing with kalk

BRS two stage c/gfo reactor

HOB skimmer

2part Ca/Alk peristaltic pumps controlled by timers -

Battery back up

I am missing something, not sure I need one.

So I am thinking about one too, but how much of what I have will benefit from adding controller?

Heater - important (currently controlled by ehiem jager only)

Radion and
MP10W which are controlled by computer on radion

Tunze Osmo ATO - usuing with kalk

BRS two stage c/gfo reactor

HOB skimmer

2part Ca/Alk peristaltic pumps controlled by timers -

Battery back up

I am missing something, not sure I need one.

I can think of the following that might be handy for you (I'm thinking APEX);

Shut off the kalk if the PH passes a set point
Shut off lights of temp goes too high
Be able to monitor that everything is running, PH and temp are good, remotely via the net
Track electricity usage by device
Keeps graphs tracking PH, temp, electricty, (and second PH, ORP exct..)
Automate the dosing pumps to do 24 tiny doses insted of one larger one
Turn on and off cooling fans depending on temp
Sends you text messages and or e-mail if the power goes out or something else goes wrong
Effectively allows you to have as many temp and or PH controlled devices that you might ever want in the future.
$500 less money in your pocket to start, this is handy if you have too much money and consider that a problem :)

Back