To paint...or not to paint?

pokerfish

Non-member
Hi folks, I am in need of your good advice.I am converting my 55 reef tank to a 54 corner. The coner spot in my living room is ideal for viewing, where as the rectangular tank only fits in a spot that you have to get off the couch to enjoy it. I got a great deal from a member and am ready to make the switch.
My question is this. Seeing that the tank is empty and easy to manipulate, should I paint the 2 back sides of the tank? In a corner set up, these 2 sides are against the wall and the wall is a light color that wouldnt be ideal to view a tank against. I have a black paper backround on my 55 and I like the depth and simpleness of black, but I dont love the salt creep the paper lifting that goes on with those type of backrounds. Painting it seems like a good clean solution, I just want confirmation that people cover both sides in a corner tank, and leave only the bowed front for viewing. It seems like common sense, as these two sides are against the wall, but I just want to make sure, given the fact that there is no un painting after the deed is done. Is there any reason not to paint the 2 straight sides in a 54 corner?

I say paint it!.. and yes both back sides.. it also hides all your stuff, hoses, wires, etc that you would see on an unpainted tank.

I have used a rustoleum color called "ocean blue" it's is a nice deep blue color.

Honestly,if you're doing a reef tank and don't scrape the back glasses,it will be coralline eventually.
I would go ahead and paint it.

You do lose a small amount of reflected light when you paint (or let coralline cover) the back. See fatheree presentation.....

You do lose a small amount of reflected light when you paint (or let coralline cover) the back. See fatheree presentation.....

So clear glass reflects more light? I'm not that smart but that makes no sense to me ;)

I'm not sure where to find it online. IIRC we have a video of his presentation where he talked about it, but I'm not sure.

It's not a tremendous difference, but enough that it showed up in the light level graphs when he was doing some T5 testing. Something to the effect that when the material (water, glass, air) changes you get a mirror like effect, so with an aquarium there is reflected light where the water hits the glass, AND reflected light where the glass meets the air outside of the tank. When you paint the back you lose this second reflection. When the inside of the glass is covered (I assume) you lose both reflections.

Edit, not original source but some linked info. See post #32 for the graphs, see pages 1-2 for a little argument between Greg and I over how relevant this really is :)
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...o-paint-back-of-tank/page4&highlight=fatheree

Again, the effect is far from earth shaking, but draw your own conclusion about how much or little of a concern it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id say paint it. Personally, I like the effect of a painted background. I have mine painted black. It makes colors "pop" more given the contrast. If you dont like it, its easy enough to scrape off. Maybe i am misinterpreting the link john k provided, but if I am reading the information correctly, the figures are for a taped on background not a painted one. If the background is painted I would assume there would be less par value loss, as there is less space between the glass and the background. I could be wrong but that is just my interpretation.

Nope, it talks about both. The taped on background doesn't change the reflected light much if at all. The painted background is what reduces the reflected light because the paint gets in the way of the interface between glass and air.

I agree though, go with the look you like the best. Personally it's an easy choice for me because I have a fish room area behind my tank and it's viewable from front, back and end. I have a black sheet hanging about 3' behind the tank and it gives almost the same look as a black painted back, I can easily clean the back glass, and I get that little bit of extra reflected light in the tank.

I wouldn't suggest planning a tank around getting that little bit of reflected light, but if it works with the set up you are planning there's no harm in taking advantage of it.

I have read the great information you have recomended, including an old thread on this site where the reflective light research was thoughtfully debated. I have concluded that the upside of a painted backround for my corner tank outweighs the marginal loss of reflective light. Im going with black as I agree that it adds depth and doesnt distract from the colors of the corals...thanks for all the great advice :)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back