Today was a hot one

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
Well even my apex couldn't keep the tank cool today . The tank hit 80.7 that's 2 degrees higher than normal. I really hope none of my coral die from this. I tried frozen 2L's and still didnt help at all. The 2L's melted so fast. I hope you guys had better luck in this heat wave

mine too. I run a 8000btu in the kitchen and have a fan in the living room to get the air moving around

My tank is in the basement which helps but hurts on the ph (co2). Fans can certainly help

Fans didn’t help me today lol. Had to put a couple of 2 liters of frozen rodi to float in the tank to cool it off. Works great until it melts lol

I need to buy a portable ac for the fish room. Dehumidifier is working overtime. I never shut that thing off either.

My AC is in the bedroom. I have an oscillating fan next to it that blows air out into the fish room. It does a good job as long as I'm not opening doors to outside.

Well even my apex couldn't keep the tank cool today . The tank hit 80.7 that's 2 degrees higher than normal. I really hope none of my coral die from this. I tried frozen 2L's and still didnt help at all. The 2L's melted so fast. I hope you guys had better luck in this heat wave
I have central air and my AIO Red Sea gets up to 81.5. No issues

I have a fan on my display, a fan on my frag tank and chiller turns on at 80.5. Chiller was on today.

to the original poster 80.7 is nothing to worry about. Corals won’t care. As long it doesn’t go from 77 to 81 very quickly it won’t bother them.

I have a fan on my display, a fan on my frag tank and chiller turns on at 80.5. Chiller was on today.

to the original poster 80.7 is nothing to worry about. Corals won’t care. As long it doesn’t go from 77 to 81 very quickly it won’t bother them.
It went from 78 to 80.7 in a matter of like 5 hours give or take.

I think a temp swing might be able to kill corals that are already sick. I have had about 2 degrees temp increases lately as well from 78 to 80, and three frags that had been looking dull for months suddenly died. Also, my alkalinity consumption has decreased about 30% during the last few weeks, whereas, normally the alkalinity consumption slowly increases over time. I cant prove that high temperature is the culprit, but it is the prime suspect.

I think a temp swing might be able to kill corals that are already sick. I have had about 2 degrees temp increases lately as well from 78 to 80, and three frags that had been looking dull for months suddenly died. Also, my alkalinity consumption has decreased about 30% during the last few weeks, whereas, normally the alkalinity consumption slowly increases over time. I cant prove that high temperature is the culprit, but it is the prime suspect.

Budget reefs tank crashed because of a temp swing, but the temp was a 10 degree swing

Last edited:
I like to set my temp at 80 in the summer so it doesn’t swing so much. Still within the appropriate boundaries but doesn’t go up and down from night to day.

I like to set my temp at 80 in the summer so it doesn’t swing so much. Still within the appropriate boundaries but doesn’t go up and down from night to day.
I have my temp set at 79 year round just for that reason. I will get small spikes in summer months, up to 80.5 on bad days, but not the huge deadly swings.

Back