Tomato, Cinnamon or none?

Armando

v 4.0
After two years I'm still confused on ID'ing this pair. Some places picture them as Tomato (actually I bought them as Tomato from MD live). Other places say this is cinnamon. What do you say?

tomatoeggs.jpg

My tomato looks the same, but when I first got him he was that lighter red in the picture on that website. I believe when they are young, they might have two stripes, then one fades and they get darker. Let me see if I can find the page on that.

Nikkoli110 said:
My tomato looks the same, but when I first got him he was that lighter red in the picture on that website. I believe when they are young, they might have two stripes, then one fades and they get darker. Let me see if I can find the page on that.

I'm not sure about the two stripes and one fading as they age but I do believe they get darker in color as they age. I have seen many young tomatos and they are pretty brightly colored and then I have seen many older tomatos and they are all very dark (almost black).

I have a mated pair of tomatoes also. The female is alot darker than the male. The cinnimons have more of a dark saddle than just an overall dark color. I can't tell by the pick but what color are the fins? The cinnimons appear to be more yellow than the tomatoes. They are very similar, maybe we are all just guessing.......

No, Reefermedic you are right. The Cinnamon Clowns (Amphiprion melanopus) tend to have much more yellow in the fins than Tomato Clowns (Amphiprion frentus), and Cinnamon clowns very often will have a blue color/hue to their stripe. Also closely related are the Fire Clown (Amphiprion ephippium) They tend to have a much smaller band behind the eye. and a very deep red color. But all in all it can be hard to tell some idividuals of these species apart.

Armando,

my guess on your guys are Tomato Clowns

-B-

Armando, now that you have some good comments, I can make one I've been itching to make since the beginning, but didn't want to derail your thread: with that "lid" on top of them, they look more like sardines in a can than clownfish... how's that for an id? :D :p

Nuno

hehe Nuno, that's just the picture, there's plenty of space for the clowns and more.

the ID on the "lid" is a piece of plastic sheet I had to put there to stop the BTA from stinging an SPS nearby.

definitely the Clowns are not "Sardine Clowns" :D

Back