Too Much LR in my tank

showard

Non-member
Hey all I have finally decided that the 200+/-lbs of LR in my 90 gallon is too much... Its mostly just those stupid huge pieces of base rock that inhibit my 'scape. Anyone have any ideas on how I can remove these pieces while keeping my tank stable?? I figure I can pull all of the brittle stars and whatever off of them and then save the rock for and upgrade in the future ;). Its mostly because I want to move away from the rock wall I have and make some wild looking bonsai structure. Also does anyone know what it is like to personally hate a rock??? Its reached "that point" lol.

200 lbs in a 90 gallon can be too much.
Too much rocks will create dead spots.

If you remove a rock or two at a time, the tank should be just fine keeping up with the changes. Bigger issue is disturbing the sand bed at the base of the rocks, especially if they're sunk into deep-ish sand and the tank has been established a while.

Bigger issue is disturbing the sand bed at the base of the rocks, especially if they're sunk into deep-ish sand and the tank has been established a while.

Why would this be a bigger issue? don't you disturb the sand when cleaning the tank? or am i doing it all wrong.

Can you post a picture? I would love to see what that looks like. Makes me wonder how much rock I have in my tank...

If there is deep-ish sand at the base of the rocks that hasn't been disturbed or stirred, it could release junk into the water column when you pull the rock out. Like if the sand is more than a few inches deep. If it is only an inch or two it shouldn't matter.

Back