Top 10 Nano Fish

Steviereefs

Non-member
One entry per person , Plus picture and small bio if possible. Please only list a fish that is easy to care for that can live off pellets, mysis, pods, because of the lower nutrient addition to a small ecosystems is a benefit.

If the list goes beyond ten great!!!

Once we reach or surpass ten we will make a poll to rank the inhabitants.

Thank you so much for your help it will help many others as well

blue_greeen_reef_chromis_01L.jpg
Chromis
Minimum Tank Size 30 gallons
Care Level Easy
Temperament Peaceful
Reef Compatible Yes
Water Conditions 22-27° C / 72-80° F range
Recommended pH 8.1-8.4
Carbonate Hardness
8 - 12° dKH
Specific Gravity 1.020-1.025.
Max. Size 3½"
Color Form Blue
Diet Omnivore
Origin Africa, Indonesia, Pen Raised
Family Pomacentridae

Tanaka's pygmy wrasse

Minimum Tank Size:**10 gallons
Care Level:**Easy
Temperament:**Peaceful
Reef Compatible:**Yes
Water Conditions:**72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size:**2½"
Color form:**Black, Red, White
Diet:**Carnivore
Origin:**Indonesia
Family:**Labridae

Attachments

• p-74616-tanakas-possum-wrasse.jpg
    p-74616-tanakas-possum-wrasse.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 528
Neon blue goby:

Captive bred, so they're adaptable and will eat more or less anything. They're cleaners to fish that allow it, and they'll perch on your finger too. Very peaceful little dudes.

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 2"

Neon blue goby:
Captive bred, so they're adaptable and will eat more or less anything. They're cleaners to fish that allow it, and they'll perch on your finger too. Very peaceful little dudes.

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 2"
CAPSLOCK that fish is awesome man!!!! Can I keep more than one? I'm from the cape, it's nice to have free beaches again , I get all my water from craigville and it awesome so far!!!

Last edited:
Joshua and Ashley
I love the Tonaka Pygmy Wrasse. When I saw one in a LFS it was quite shy. Does yours come out into the open very much? How long have you had it?They are so striking looking, definitely on my list of "well. maybe I can get one more fish..."

My nominee for the top ten nano fish is the barnacle blenny, Acanthemlemaria macrospilus. This is based upon its uniqueness and exquisite suitability for a nano tank. Give him a snail shell and you have given him the world. How can you be more nano than that in terms of the space it occupies 99.5% of the time?
5_zps4d86dae7.jpg
The other 0.5% of the time is spent "foraging for food". This guy wastes no time in that endeavor and is hands down the speed king of the nano world. The attached previously posted video backs up that claim. It also unintentionally includes what would be my second nomination, which, in my desire to scrupulously follow the guidelines of this thread, shall be left nameless in this post
("psst-read the video credits.")

[video]http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/FishportNH/BlennyontheMove_zps591be39a.mp4[/video]

A very docile and hardy fish. There is no problem with having more than one in a tank. If you look closely in the photo, you can see what ichthyologists refer to as little knobs on its head. It would be fascinating to learn what they are for. I recklesssly speculate that it is either a nerdy cool fashion statement or a sensory organ responsible for its ability to disciminate food from other matter in the water current from a good distance. When some Hatchery Diet pellets (unpaid product placement) hit the water, his head starts to nod side to side as if in tracking mode, or maybe just an expression of orgasmic delight!

They hale from the southern part of the Gulf of California to Acapulco. To my limited knowledge, not too many other species in our tanks come from that region. But that geography leads me to believe he is the marine embodiment of the mid twentieth centry Warner Brothers cartoon star- "Speedy Gonzalez" (You kids don't know what you missed out on when tv was free, fuzzy, and in black and white, yet naively edgy in its political incorrectness).

Last edited:
Neon gobies are more of a solitary fish unless you get a bonded pair. Also have a short life expectancy of approximately 1.5 yrs, though my little guy is 3yrs.

Pygmy wrasses are weird but awesome. They kinda float around in a non-offensive way and seem to escape the notice of many other fish. Don't hide per se but more just move at their own pace and around rocks - not open water swimmers. Wonderful, worthwhile fish.

Joshua and Ashley
I love the Tonaka Pygmy Wrasse. When I saw one in a LFS it was quite shy. Does yours come out into the open very much? How long have you had it?They are so striking looking, definitely on my list of "well. maybe I can get one more fish..."

My nominee for the top ten nano fish is the barnacle blenny, Acanthemlemaria macrospilus. This is based upon its uniqueness and exquisite suitability for a nano tank. Give him a snail shell and you have given him the world. How can you be more nano than that in terms of the space it occupies 99.5% of the time?

The other 0.5% of the time is spent "foraging for food". This guy wastes no time in that endeavor and is hands down the speed king of the nano world. The attached previously posted video backs up that claim. It also unintentionally includes what would be my second nomination, which, in my desire to scrupulously follow the guidelines of this thread, shall be left nameless in this post
("psst-read the video credits.")

A very docile and hardy fish. There is no problem with having more than one in a tank. If you look closely in the photo, you can see what ichthyologists refer to as little knobs on its head. It would be fascinating to learn what they are for. I recklesssly speculate that it is either a nerdy cool fashion statement or a sensory organ responsible for its ability to disciminate food from other matter in the water current from a good distance. When some Hatchery Diet pellets (unpaid product placement) hit the water, his head starts to nod side to side as if in tracking mode, or maybe just an expression of orgasmic delight!

They hale from the southern part of the Gulf of California to Acapulco. To my limited knowledge, not too many other species in our tanks come from that region. But that geography leads me to believe he is the marine embodiment of the mid twentieth centry Warner Brothers cartoon star- "Speedy Gonzalez" (You kids don't know what you missed out on when tv was free, fuzzy, and in black and white, yet naively edgy in its political incorrectness).

The speed of that fish is absolutely outstanding from any fish that I have ever seen!!!! Thanks for sharing that, and also for discreetly sharing the other fish in the video that fish looks amazing with the stripes and yellow.

Steviereefs,
Sorry for any confusion. I just thought you started a good thread and was trying to encourage others to contribute.

Thanks for the complement Reefer Sutherland. If I can make Mr. Sutherland laugh that's saying something!

Steviereefs,
Sorry for any confusion. I just thought you started a good thread and was trying to encourage others to contribute.

Thanks for the complement Reefer Sutherland. If I can make Mr. Sutherland laugh that's saying something!

No need to apologize to me my friend. Let's get some more nominations in people!!!! 3 days of freedom, 3 days of no excuse reefing , three days to come up with more of the best nano fish.

I think #1 is still the Yellow Tang as a nano fish, or maybe a Hippo Tang... lol
I can here the tang police sirens now LOL

But seriously people if you have a tank that's a nano volume tangs are a bad idea it is like torture for them. It's bad practice and I don't personally know anyone reefer that would condone it .

Don't listen to anyone that say yellow tangs or hippo tangs or any tangs are nano comparable fish it's ignorant and stupid when there's plenty of awesome nano fish available.

Nano thread only thanks !!

I'll nominate probably my favorite fish, the Royal Gramma. Super easy to care for, not typically aggressive and very nice looking fish. They are a good choice for around 20 to 30 gallon tank size, with a few good hiding places for them to set up camp.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'll nominate probably my favorite fish, the Royal Gramma. Super easy to care for, not typically aggressive and very nice looking fish. They are a good choice for around 20 to 30 gallon tank size, with a few good hiding places for them to set up camp.

Another sweet reef fish. I'm adding a little extra to the bio thanks for the post !!!
royal-gramma.jpg
Size : 1-2 inches
Care Level : Easy
Temperament : Peaceful
Reef Safe : Yes
Diet : Pellet, Flake, Brine
Origin : Caribbean Sea
Acclimation Time : 3+ hours
Minimum Tank Size : 10 gallon

Another sweet reef fish. I'm adding a little extra to the bio thanks for the post !!!
View attachment 107292
Size : 1-2 inches
Care Level : Easy
Temperament : Peaceful
Reef Safe : Yes
Diet : Pellet, Flake, Brine
Origin : Caribbean Sea
Acclimation Time : 3+ hours
Minimum Tank Size : 10 gallon
Thanks for adding, I wasn't able to figure out how to post a picture. :)

Back