Topic requests for Randy's chemistry discussion at the next meeting

Randy Holmes-Farley

BRS Member
I will certainly have lots of time for Q&A at the Nov 21 meeting during my hour slot, but if anyone has specific questions or topics they'd like me to address, feel free to post them here. That way, I can start off the discussion with things people are specifically interested in. :)

See you there!

Not sure if I can make this one or not yet but your article, chemistry and the aquarium, solving calcium and alkalinty problems, helped me out hugely. I found it when i had problems when i first started out just though an internet search. I thank you for your help and think people would benifit from this as well.
The link for others, http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Do you have any thoughts about the new "solid carbon dosing" materials that have appeared in the hobby?

Randy thanks for taking the time to come to our meeting. About 6mos ago you helped me out on another site, and I wanted to thank you. I had some questions about using "your" 2 part. I was wondering if you could talk alittle about it, and the best way to use it. Having 4 children I have been using it from the beginning (approx 2years). I have heard mixed opinions about it, and was hoping you could spend some time on it. I am also hoping you could also talk about phosphates as that seems to be my crisis of the month.

Thanks and looking forward to the meeting Derek

I dose VSV with my tank and know adding vinegar to kalkwasser is fine but would the addition of sugar and vinegar have any effects on kalkwasser.

How about the ability(or inability) for equipment/substrate to absorb and later leach copper, or other harmful things into a system. IMO/IME, some people are a bit paranoid about it, as I have used equip from my FOWLR,(which gets coppered a few times a year), in my reef. I have even taken 30lbs of rock out of the FOWLR, swilled it in a barrel of water for a week, and detected no copper in it, and proceeded to add it to my 600 gal reef system, with no ill effects............
any opinions?

How about the ability(or inability) for equipment/substrate to absorb and later leach copper

OK, I can talk about that topic. :)

Chemistry and nuisance algae control
1- I don't feed much and the test kit doesn't show phosphates why is algae growing.
2- The Tech M overdose technique to control algae -Anybody know what the chemistry is that is in play? , why does it work with Tech M and not other magnesium?
3- Phosphate removal : Chemicals that bind phosphates, chemicals that remove phosphates, GFO reactors.

By the way, anyone willing to give up some Chaeto macroalgae, I'll take all I can get. I'm setting up a new refugium.

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate it. :)

I don't have chaeto, but I do have some grape algae that grows like crazy.
How about some info on DI resin's?

Difference in the two types and why use them. I read somewhere that the DI resin is brown. I have seen blue stuff, supposedly it is dyed. Actually whatever you can tell me. So I can make an informed decision when I buy some. I seem to go thru it awful fast. I want to buy bulk. When I do I don't want to buy junk.

Hi there

Be interested in hearing your thoughts about essential (or wasteful) micronutrient additives, vitamins, amino acids, etc

Back