totally unexpected...but....

Valexia

livingroom naturalist
clownfish spawned tonight.... :D

Attachments

• DSCN2854.jpg
    DSCN2854.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 295
fry are doomed but i will try collecting them...i don't have any greenwater to feed..i do have dts...any ideas? This tank has a lot of fish, and i don't think any larvae are gonna make it to the top for me to scoop out...too many hungry mouths.

Spawning was right after sunset, around five lasted for a few hours and these guys are soooo interesting to watch "tend" their brood.
Nobody has been attacked unless someone ventures tooo close for comfort.
Its was right after i lowered my salinity (ran out of top off water) and did a water change.

My anemone is a MONSTER H. crispa...leathery sebae...whatever you wanna call it..and its over twenty inches fully open. Its one third my tank. I got him he wasn't so big..until i fed him. His/her nickname is "the almighty Sarlak" from Star Wars (you know the big desert scene from Return of the Jedi?)
I have had him since June. He's been great. Growing, color is good, eats three times a week and houses the clowns.
They adopted him almost immediately.

When my clarkies would spawn, it took about 7 days before the eggs would hatch. You'll know it's soon when you see the fry's eyes and the eggs turn silvery in color. As soon as your lights go off, the eggs will hatch. Use a flashlight and a net (I've heard nets do damage, but when you have about 200-300 fry, a very fine mesh net becomes most efficient). What I did was set up a breeder tank (10 gal hex). The fry will start to look for food. I started off with rotifers and moved on to baby brine. After about 10 days you'll witness the most amazing part... the metamorphosis. In about 24 hrs the little minnow looking fry turn into colorful wabbly clowns.
I'm hoping my saddlebacks start to spawn soon.
Oh yeah, I found you really don't need to make greenwater, just use DT's, but you will neet a rotifer culture.
Good luck should you take up this endeavor.

alright! stuff in my fridge! no problem..now for rotifers....hmmm, i can hatch brine shrimp i do know how....now to convince the hubby that i need a ten to raise baby clowns.
:)

Doesn't even have to be a 10. I just happened to have one lying around at the time. Also, what I did was set the rearing tank up such that it was at the same height as the main tank (top) then I used a 1/2" pvc tube to fill (syphon) the rearing tank and used a 1/4" tube that drained from the rearing tank to the sump and kept them running. So essentially, I had a separate tank that had the same water parameters as my reef tank. I used one of the wife's panty hose wrapped around a filter sponge around the end of the 1/4" tube to prevent accidentally sucking any fry into the sump. (OK, it was really my pantyhose). But anyway, this seemed to work.
I bought rotifer eggs from Florida aquatics or something like that for about $10. They take a week or two to get going, but if your clowns are spawning, chances are they'll spawn again.
I say you give it a chance. It's a lot of effort, but I think it's really cool seeing these little fish metamorphosize into little clowns. If you're successful, you'll be able to get your money back in store credit.

very helpful...i think its got about a day to go...maybe monday night
:)
enough time to get things ready for the BABIES

Back