Transportation of coral

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
Hey guys and gals quick questions. How should I go about transporting coral back from Florida. My wife and I are driving down and back for vacation and we are planning on stopping at wwc. Should we just have them ship them or is there a way to transport them while we make the drive back? Now we are not driving straight back we are stopping to sleep for a few hours in our car(we bought a air mattress that fits in our car).

I would think if you’re only make one stop to sleep for a few hours you should be fine as long as you have a good cooler + some heat packs, they’ll likely only be in bags for slightly longer than if they were shipped overnight. But I’ve done the drive before and I know how draining it is, so you might want to ask yourself if that’s really another stressor you want to put on yourself.

Depending on the size of the corals and how much space you have in your car you might consider putting the corals in a salt bucket (nearly full of water) and running a battery powered air pump to keep the water moving. An extra salt bucket full of saltwater could also be used for a water change on the first bucket. The temperature is also important of course. If you can keep it between 70-83 you'd be the best off.

To add on to Greg’s idea, you could pick up a power inverter to run a small heater and powerhead in the bucket. Maybe drill a hole in the lid run the wires through and put a rubber grommet in to help keep you dry lol. Best of luck and takes pics haha

Back