Trimming large Toadstool

mvallee

Non-member
I have a large Solomon Island Toadstool I got from Greg Hiller about 2 and a half years ago. This thing has grown from the size of a quarter to 18"+ across. I love it and consider it the centerpiece of my tank but it is really outgrowing my tank.
Is there a way to trim it back to maybe 1/2 the size but still retain it's perfect shape. I know there are a lot of folks out there itching to get one of these in their tanks too so fragging would be good.

In two and a half years it has gone from this
IMG_20180422_145346.jpg

one and a half years later to this
IMG_20191018_174707.jpg

and now this beauty
20200915_181204.jpg

20200902_074839.jpg

The fish love swimming and hanging out under it and in the folds but basically taking half the tank now.

Curious to know if there is a way to remove a section(s) and have it grow in the same way.

From my experience, trimming the edges is the way to go, but expect it to slime up a lot! I would run carbon after cutting.

+1 on trimming around the edges. There is a youtube video on fragging toadstools. Basically you can trim it in a circle all around the stalk, each fragment you take off can grow into a new toadstool, so you could generate about a 1000 frags from that monster if you wanted.

You can cut with a sharp blade. All cuts will turn into the same shape. They are simple to propagate. Attaché with a rubber band or pinch in between two rock and it’ll attach... Let me know if you want to trade for anything :)

From my experience, trimming the edges is the way to go, but expect it to slime up a lot! I would run carbon after cutting.
Thanks, I bet it stinks too, I moved it a couple times to get it to attack to a base rock and man did my hand stink after. Maybe I'll set up a temporary tank when I am ready.

+1 on trimming around the edges. There is a youtube video on fragging toadstools. Basically you can trim it in a circle all around the stalk, each fragment you take off can grow into a new toadstool, so you could generate about a 1000 frags from that monster if you wanted.
I will have to watch, I am a bit nervous on touching this as it is a beautiful toadstool and fish really do gravitate towards it and hang out around it.

You can cut with a sharp blade. All cuts will turn into the same shape. They are simple to propagate. Attaché with a rubber band or pinch in between two rock and it’ll attach... Let me know if you want to trade for anything :)
thanks, I will, that Fuego mushrooms you sold me a while back is really starting to take off, I think I have 5 now

Back