Trying new acro flatworm treatment...

Reef55

BRS Member
Ok, after doing much research and speaking with my wife (veterinary medicine), I have found a potential drug to use to hopefully kill acro flatworms and maybe the eggs too. My question is, how do I know if the eggs are killed??

I don't know, microscope maybe? This sounds exciting. Let us know if you need help or resources.

Ok, my wife says parasites in egg form (or encysted) you can just about put them in bleach and they'll live.... not what I was hoping to hear. Oh well, I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

Does anyone know what the length of time the eggs are on the coral before they hatch?

Reef55 said:
Ok, my wife says parasites in egg form (or encysted) you can just about put them in bleach and they'll live.... not what I was hoping to hear. Oh well, I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

Does anyone know what the length of time the eggs are on the coral before they hatch?

I think it is 7- 10 days

You need to do a control. frag an infected coral. Treat a couple frags with your treatment. Leave at least one, or better yet, a few, untreated as positive controls. Keep them all separate from eachother (no water shared between them).

You'll have the positive controls to tell you when the eggs should hatch, and roughly how many. If you see a consistant difference with your experimentals compared to the viability of the FW in your controls, then you might be on to something.

Nate

Well, considering I only have one very small frag with eggs (I've now checked every frag in my growout tank with a magnifying glass), that isn't an option with the amount of eggs I have (there is one group, with about 8-9 eggs in it). I just now tried the drug, the problem is I only have it in pill form right now, and as fine as I could grind it up, it still did not seem to dissolve at all in the water.

My wife mentioned a sure way to kill eggs is by damaging them... grind them off with the edge of a knife or something in another container, then rinse the coral a few times then put back in your tank.

As my frag is a new addition and not one I am willing to leave in my system, away it goes.

If anyone is interested in attempting a better experiment, PM me and I can provide the drug information and some to use as well.

Mark

>as fine as I could grind it up, it still did not seem to dissolve at all in the water.<

Sometimes you can dissolve some chemicals in a small amount of 'semi' non-toxic solvent and then add it to the water and it will stay in solution. This is what I have done when I have used Chloroamphenicol dissolved in 100% ethanol to treat for RTN years ago using Craig Bingman's treatment technique.

Greg,
I am sure there is something the pills would dissolve in (white powder type pills), I am just not sure what that would be. Acid maybe since that is what is in a stomach? Like I said, if someone else unfortunetly has these buggers, and wants to try this stuff, send me a PM. I could bring it to the meeting too.

I wouldn't try acid. That's probably more likely to change the chemistry of the drug. Try ethanol first. Then I suppose DMSO would be worth a try, but I seem to recall that's a pretty toxic solvent. (and not exactly easy to find)

ask a pharmacist. They know how to make sublingual forms of drugs, I'm sure they would disolve in a tank.

I am almost willing to bet it is the filler that is difficult to dissolve.

PM sent...

NateHanson said:
I wouldn't try acid. That's probably more likely to change the chemistry of the drug. Try ethanol first. Then I suppose DMSO would be worth a try, but I seem to recall that's a pretty toxic solvent. (and not exactly easy to find)

isn't that what "dry gas" is made of?

For any that is concerned why I sent a PM to Mark, no I don't have FWs (as best as I can tell - no one can be 100% sure). I just wanted to know what the name of the medication is.

The name of the medication is Praziquantal and has already been tried and failed as I understand it. However, I'm hoping that whoever tries any experiment with it will have better luck.

DMSO = Dimethyl sulfoxide, It is not something I would want to add to a tank, It is carcinogenic and mutanigenic, in other words don't get it on your skin!!

Last edited:
Lam, that is interesting. I searched all over and hadn't found anyone who had tried it. Oh well :( Can you point me to a link where it was already tried?

You can get it liquid form, hikari sells it as a fluke medication. Called Prazi-Pro. From what I've been told, a strong enough dose to kill the flatworms pretty much does in the acro too. Haven't tried it myself.

JeremyR said:
You can get it liquid form, hikari sells it as a fluke medication. Called Prazi-Pro. From what I've been told, a strong enough dose to kill the flatworms pretty much does in the acro too. Haven't tried it myself.

How about that Fluke med I spoke to you about in the past.

Back