trying to decide on clean up crew and pod variety

reefstarter

Non-member
so I have reached the brown ugly stage I have a few snails but they need back up !!!! ( wonder if a snail will gorge himself to death ) anyway I have always liked Red Banded Trocheus snails since they readily reproduce in tanks . But I am a big believer in variety and biodiversity And I also believe that should start from the micro fauna up , bacteria , pods snails crabs ?? then fish as a complete clean up crew . Sure I like ornamental fish but "worker" fish to me make more sense . So lets hear some suggestions and help me pick my livestock for my 75 gallon

I'm not a fan of hermits so I'll give you a snail idea lol
Fighting conch , cerith, nassarius , Mexican turbo , astrea ,emerald crab

I have good luck with hermits cleaning rock. The blue legged crabs have outlasted my scarlet legged hermits.

Turbo snails are good and fast at cleaning up but typically don't last long (in my experiences).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with blue legs outlasting scarlets so I like those much better... My opinion is the more variety of snails the better...

From time to time I add to my snail population, which is mainly surviving nassarius and ceriths in the sand bed and a few small turbos that clean the overflows and glass of the tank.
I mainly rely on a variety of hermits, blue legged, zebra, scarlet crabs as well as a sand sifting starfish and a piece of crap coral bulldozing urchin that i've grown to love and hate all at the same time.
Also have a bunch of asterna stars, bristle worms, copepods and limpets that have accumulated the years that tend to my sump.

Back