Tumbled Limestone tiles for tank bottom?

Scuba_Dave

Non-member
Any input from members & mad scientists? :)
I really like this idea

a_08070010.jpg

"For what it's worth... I got away from plastics all together in one system, (as a BB) I used tumbled limestone tiles I found at a tile shop. I siliconed them (4"x4") relatively close together, Then added about 1 cup of sand to the system. The sand "grouted" the joints. It looks like a "ancient road" umderwater that time has fogotten. The limestone is like live rock... it readily grows coraline or, better yet, frags take to it easily.
The tiles are what they call tumbled and unfilled. This means they are beatup around the edges, and there were no filler epoxys used to fill the holes. "

Really good idea!

I wonder if a thin layer of sand underneath would be prudent. To help keep uneven points from building piercing pressure?

I suppose you want to do a soak test and check for contaminants...

I'm wondering where we can find these locally and cheaply - I need to setup an aiptasia farm (for a CBB that allegedly only eats aips) and was thinking of putting a layer of floor tiles on the tank bottom, with holes drilled in them for fishing line - once a week I could pull an anemone-covered tile out, tie some line on it, and drop it in the display tank as a "feeding station"

These would probably work even better than the quartz tiles I was thinking about trying...

Maybe make home-made rock & simply coat the entire bottom of the tank

but then you need to worry about curing it

Next time you're at Aquaaddicts go right across the street to the Stone Yard. They've got that sort of stuff there.

Nate

Back