Lime stone bricks/tiles

JCheung

Newbish
Hey i saw the thread earlier about someone using the limestone tiles as a base for that tank. I was wondering on how that went?

Does anyone know if the bricks/tiles are cheaper than the live rock, wet or dry? and where i could get them for cheap. I'll probably take a visit to home depot this friday to check out the prices.

Does using the limestone remove the need to use kalkwasser or calcium drips? I think limestone in water, over long periods of time, does eventually turn into calcium hydroxide which is what kalkwasser is.

I would really like to use the bricks because they're nice and modular, i can stack as many or as little as i need to get it above my sand bed.

What is the quality of the limestone? Where was it mined? Does it have impurities such as phosphates, etc? Why risk it, put stuff made for the aquarium in the aquarium. I don't go to a hardware store for aquarium additives the same as I do not go to Aquarium Gallery for a can of paint. I do buy PVC at Home Depot though. These short cuts often work out for the majority of the people but do you really want to be one of the 15% that it doesn't?

A lot of people tried all sort of things to save money but there is no substitute for real live rocks. You will actually save a lot of your time and money by doing it right the first time.

Back