Tunze or Ocean Motion

• Tunze 6000 with Controller

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Ocean Motion

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

Richard

Non-member
Need your help to decide for my Xmas present. What would be better a Tunze6000 with controller or Ocean motion? The Tank dim 48"x24"x24" mainly SPS with 4"-5" of southdown sand.

Last edited:
Awe.. Richard. You are thoughful. I'll take either :)

Okay... why did I chime in with a smart remark? Because I have the same question. I'll learn from Richard's research and now I'm subscribed. Thanks bud!

Dave

I am dreaming to think I could have either anytime soon, but I would choose the OM if I could, because I prefer not to see pumps inside the display.

Another vote for the OM, for basically the same reasons that Nate mentioned: it allows for a much cleaner setup, no unsightly pumps inside the tank, taking up space and leaking heat.

Nuno

IF I intended to setup a tank 180G or larger AND budget allowed

I would get a Tunze double or quad.
- No plumbing needed
- No tank drilling needed
- Noiseless
- Probably less heat than an external pump
- Option to have an inexpensive night sensor
- Intensity fully adjustable

ELSE

- for smaller tanks OM might be a better option due to lack of space in the tank and excessive power of Tunzes
- A dual or quad tunze setup may not be affordable for some

END

As do I but I think when you look at the two on level money wise... OM wins by far, Come on Tunze, bring them prices down!

Armando said:
- No tank drilling needed
- Noiseless
- Intensity fully adjustable

You don't really have to drill the tank to go with a OM... you can have over-the-top returns, which coupled with the "Revolutions" will provide very random flow. Check out the plumbing examples and the photos in the forums at their website.

As to noise, I guess that depends on the external pump you decide to use, can get pretty close to noiseless.

If you plumb it right, with ball valves, you can fully adjust the intensity of an OM setup... actually, you can adjust each individual return!

Although the recent discussions on the OM (like my threads) have been about smaller setups, namely with the OM squirt, for a larger tank you can either go with an 8-way OM or have two separate 4-way HD closed-loops, each on its own pump. Very versatile, and way cheaper than the Tunzes.

Nuno

Tunze might be a little too strong on the 4 foot tank. We have 6 foot tank and have them turned way down.

nunofs said:
Very versatile, and way cheaper than the Tunzes.

Nuno
I messed this up I?m not sure how but let me try again. The Tunze only uses 15 watts for a 6000 so in the long run it will be cheaper. There is also more control and a night sensor that you can get. I also think you will start to hear that the OM?s leak and have salt creep problems.

Last edited:
Dennis, I wasn't sure what you meant by the tripod made with PVC pipe... until I read the thread about the shrimp goby... copy-and-paste gone wrong? :)

Nuno

nunofs said:
Dennis, I wasn't sure what you meant by the tripod made with PVC pipe... until I read the thread about the shrimp goby... copy-and-paste gone wrong? :)

Nuno
the fingers are going to fast.:D

nunofs said:
If you plumb it right, with ball valves, you can fully adjust the intensity of an OM setup... actually, you can adjust each individual return!

Yes, but then you end up with a mess like this: :D (BTW this is NOT my setup)

DSC_0045.jpg

Last edited:
Back