Tyree alien eye watermelon chalice

TomD

Non-member
I want one;)

What is the difference between this coral and the ones atlantis have that look similar?

Does the original actually look better or is it just the name?

Any owners out there?

The original watermelon has little tiny pink looking seeds, and sells for a pretty penny. Good luck!

That is what I was asking. The Atlantis one looks similar and is like $80 for an inch. I don't think I could even get on a waiting list to get the original for $200 an inch.

Me too! I have a rainbow, a superman, and that is next. Do you have one, any pics?:)

He's great, his name is Matt Hooper, I've had several orders over the last few months. Everything is well packed, and although he doesn't advertise it, orders over $250. shipping is free, and he always throws in extra nice frags as extras.

Good to hear. I visited the site and he has a lot of really nice stuff. Is it WYSWYG and did you order look like the picture online?

Just an observation: LE or so called "rare" coral are very bad value in this hobby. Xenia used to be very expensive. They do not hold so called "value". The "value" is from the insane profit.

I don't believe it's wysiwyg, but the pics are very representative of what you receive. Just remember, he like most vendors is probably showing under 20K lighting.

Oh, btw those sapphire zoos are just as beautiful in my tank, I think they are far brighter than Tub's. ;)

Just an observation: LE or so called "rare" coral are very bad value in this hobby. Xenia used to be very expensive. They do not hold so called "value". The "value" is from the insane profit.

I highly doubt you will see the Tyree watermelon coming down in value.

I am going to check out that site, thanks Rays.

I highly doubt you will see the Tyree watermelon coming down in value.
Why wouldn't it? Every person that gets a frag is a possible seller in a year or less. Everything goes down. Your best bet is to either be one of the first people to pay ridiculous amounts of money and grow it out to frag it, or wait until it drops to a reasonable price. The person you don't want to be is the one that buys right before the price drops.

LE coral from Tyree is pure marketing. The price doesn't not reflect the rarety of the coral at all.

Why wouldn't it? Every person that gets a frag is a possible seller in a year or less. Everything goes down. Your best bet is to either be one of the first people to pay ridiculous amounts of money and grow it out to frag it, or wait until it drops to a reasonable price. The person you don't want to be is the one that buys right before the price drops.

Very true. The worse thing to do is that pay a ridiculous price for a hot coral and hope to get some $ back by growing it and frag it later, then find out it is no longer hot when you have frags to sell. Or end up with a coral that 10x bigger 1 year later and only worth 1/100 of original price. Look at those acan lords.

Look at those acan lords.
True, but look at the pink lemonade, purple monster, watermelon chalice and many more. These posts go on ad nauseum on RC, about who can afford them, it's just a status symbol and on and on. Some collectors, myself included look at some of these corals the way a stamp collector, a rare coin collector or collector of automobiles would look at them.

Back