Tyree alien eye watermelon chalice

At the end of the day a coral is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It could be the only coral of its kind but if no one wants it then it is irrelevant and the person will either lower their price or pull it back. If there is a demand the prices stay up and if the demand falls prices will follow.

Some collectors, myself included look at some of these corals the way a stamp collector, a rare coin collector or collector of automobiles would look at them.

Stamp, rare coins and vintage automobiles all have their book value and they do not reproduce and there are always a reason (historical etc) to back up the value.

Coral, is entirely different. They reproduce. Most of the time, the LE coral grows very well in captive. They do not have a certified value. Sometime (a lot of times), the value of a coral is entirely made up by vendor. It is kinda funny that a piece of coral can be a status symbel.

Stamp, rare coins and vintage automobiles all have their book value and they do not reproduce and there are always a reason (historical etc) to back up the value.

Coral, is entirely different. They reproduce. Most of the time, the LE coral grows very well in captive. They do not have a certified value. Sometime (a lot of times), the value of a coral is entirely made up by vendor. It is kinda funny that a piece of coral can be a status symbel.

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth!

I also found that I started enjoying the hobby alot more when I stopped chasing new corals and enjoyed what I had.

Supply and demand, all depends on whether you want to wait for the corals to grow, as a renewable supply.

I don't know if I agree that book value or the ability to reproduce is the central issue that makes LE coral different from stamps, rare coins, or vitage automobiles.

Each of those items commands a price far greater than their actual value. A stamp or a coin is only actually worth its face value. (E.g., a bank or post office would only give you whats printed on the item iteself.) In other words, you can't circulate those items in the regular marketplace for an established value. The question is what accounts for the large premium that people are willing to pay.

In every case it is only a subgroup of the population that is willing to pay the inflated price. Just because people are willing to pay a premium or that a certain group of collectors have gotten so large that they are able to create "book value" prices does not suddenly make the item inherently more valuable. Just because the value is "back-up" doesn't make it any more arbitrary. Everyone has just agreed to the arbitrary price.

But I do agree that the idea of a coral status symbol is hillarious!

Back