uncovered tank... ? +cats?

Marie

Non-member
So now that I know in order to have a reef tank it needs to be uncovered for proper gas exchange... well, what if you have a cat? I think I will do a mesh screen kit to keep jumpers in, but is that also enough to keep a cat out? Is the 1/4" net pretty strong?

I believe the 1/4 screen will be fine the cats generally wont go on it because its clear my 2 dont btw how much screen do you need I have a bunch of it

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

My cat goes on everything, but wouldnt dare. IDK if its hard for them to see, but he wont climb on it.

My cat goes on everything, but wouldnt dare. IDK if its hard for them to see, but he wont climb on it.

Same here both of mine jump up there cause theres a" cat walk " per say lol on the back of my tank its closed in cause its way from the wall 8" they sit up there and watch but they will not go on the screens and a couple of my fish taunt them lol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the responses. I was a little concerned, as my cat will literally sleep on the hood of my 55g FW tank.

I use egg crate from Home Depot. It is normally used in over head fluorescent lighting. It is known as a diffuser panel. This stuff has many uses such as a top for our beloved tanks, a DIY frag rack, Aqua-scaping and many other uses. Here is a picture of my 26G Bow. The egg crate is literally trim-to-fit and super cheap.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you have to be careful with this stuff. MH (Metal Halide) lighting will melt it. Any other lighting should be ok.

IMG_20130410_104057_555_zps42ed8b19.jpg

Last edited:
Back