Unexplained death :(

Reef55

BRS Member
My wife and I returned from Skipton's today to find our copperband stuck to the intake of a Seio 820 (which was turned halfway down too). Has anyone heard of fish getting stuck to these? Our copperband was healthy, eating like a champ... nothing wrong with him that we could tell. Also the biggest fish in our tank. Anyone any ideas???

:(

That's a bummer Mark. How long ago did you guys get him?

I very much doubt he was killed by the seio. Maybe it was cyanide? It's only been a couple weeks right?

We got him on the 22nd of January, and he had only been in the store one night. He always ate, and we feed almost everyday. He was nice and fattening up... normally with cyanide they lose their appetite, and then slowly die, correct? I highly doubt it was the seio too, since the flow is so little and dispersed... but how sad :(

Yeah that sounds like too long for cyanide death too, if I recall correctly. Hmm. Have you tested all your water parameters just in case? Other fish and corals looking ok?

maybe he got spooked and swam into the pump, and then just couldnt get away...freak accident

I really can't see a fish getting stuck on one of those pumps. The suction is very diffuse around the whole perimeter of the housing.

Mark, sorry to hear of your loss. Did you change anything in your tank recently? Did the copperband get spooked by another fish and possibly bump into something? Any marks or scratches on the carcass?

No new introductions, all other corals and fish look fine. All paramaters check out fine too. I took a pretty good look at him after pulling him out, and could not see any signs that he got stung by anything. Sigh... sad to lose such a beautiful fish :(

Back