updating my sump for 72 bow

pech29

Non-member
I'm going to be moving my tank across the room and have decided it's time to update my sump from a regular tank with skimmer and return pump to also include a refugium, baffles, etc. I have found a few kits on ebay that let you customize a tank like you are doing it from scratch without having to order all the pieces separately and was wondering what peoples thoughts were as opposed to buying for instance a Model 2 MegaFlow or CPR Aquafuge?

Here is one of the ebay listings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-PRO-REFUGIUM-for-Live-Sand-Algae-Coral-Rock_W0QQitemZ350056237753QQihZ022QQcategoryZ3212QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, for the refugium is there a need for a MH pendant or will PCs do?

Thanks,
Bri

Your skimmer going to fit in that little munchkin area they are giving you for it? My guess is no which means you would need to run it externally...

The baffles do not come installed, so you can place them where you want to be able to accommodate your equipment and preference.

Hmm, ok... let me phrase it a different way. For the model you have put a link to it seems a little small. What is the foot-print of your skimmer? Once your skimmer is placed in this custom sump, does it leave you with enough room to still have the refuge like you want? Just by comparison to the 1" pvc they have on it, i bet it would leave very little room to really accomplish what you are looking to do.

you can build a glass sump with as many baffles as you want with a fuge for half that price

I was going to and had a sweet tank all lined up but got scared of living in a 3rd floor condo as well as the added expense of running said bigger tank and getting it set up. Basically I would have needed all new equipment except for my light. So I decided against it until we get a house, at which point I will go even bigger (thinking 180 or 210)...

Back