Urchin ?

Bob P.

Non-member
Found this as I was fragging one of my zoo's. Mind you, I have had this zoo for around 3 or 4 years. Could it be an urchin?
urchin.jpg

could be cant really see much except the tentacles so it could be quite a few things
Duds

If you're talking about to the left with pink tentacles, it could be mojano, tough without better pic.
Also, is it moving or stationary?

Last edited:
Thanks, Gina. It hasn't moved that I know of. Don't believe it's mojano. They look like they are hard spikes. Will try to get a better pic tomorrow. (lights have since shut off)

If you're talking about to the left with pink tentacles, it could be mojano, tough without better pic.
Also, is it moving or stationary?
it doesnt look like it is soft, so i dont think it is mojano
Duds

Looks like an urchin. If it does get big and is a problem they are easy to remove. Pretty cool to find new things like that!

Just touch it gently with your fingers and see if the spines? are hard like an urchin.

wow...that's a pretty one. I don't think I've ever seen one that color?? I thought they grew pretty fast. Hard to believe he was hiding in those zoas for that long.

Nice find....nice pic, too. :)

wow...that's a pretty one. I don't think I've ever seen one that color?? I thought they grew pretty fast. Hard to believe he was hiding in those zoas for that long.
What Linda said.

I have a very similar hitchhiker. At the time I discovered him he was only about the size of a penny (2-3 yrs ago?). Now he is about 1.5" in diameter. Very rarely do I catch him in the day.

Judging from the color of your specimen he is probably not toxic. However, don't find out the hard way. See if you can get a positive ID.

-Joe

This guy was a hitchhiker from my very first liverock purchase, (about 6 yrs ago). Popped up out of the blue 2 yrs later. Has since died. Could this be its spawn?
1909mouth_of_urchin-med.jpg

Back