Valonia!!!! I am ready to give up.

Armando

v 4.0
my new tank is now up and running after the heater snafu.

i just can't get rid of the darn bubble algae.

any hope?

I hate those damn bubble algae as well.
I even tried a couple of those emrald crab but they do nothing but bother my sps. So now they're in the sump. But while I was changing my tank from DSB to BB, it scraped them all out, and hopefully they wont come back. :fingercross

why not pop and syphon?

when you are syphoning off water for a water change, stick a toothpick to the end of the hose, pop the bubble, and the syphon will carry out the spores...

I think heard that from Liam or Mauro...

They seem to be always present in my tank, but never out of control

Plus they are one of the most attractive features for non-reefers

Red Sea Sailfin Tangs will eat Valonia, and a hefty team of "female" Emerald Crabs.
My favorite method is to siphon and pluck them out. It is a bit of work but you should be able to get ahead of them.

I knew your method of just letting them run their course was not going to get you anywhere good ;)

-B-

The other day I realized that although I don't have a lot of valonia in the tank (a few small bubbles that I can see, that never really spreaded anywhere) or in the sump, the inside of my overflow was coated with the stuff... literally a "mat" of valonia... I managed to peel most of it off without popping the bubbles... the few that went down the overflow I caught in the sump.

Nuno

I use a syringe with a small needle. Stick the needle in, suck out the liquid on the inside. The color of the liquid is a milky-green color... definitly full of "spores" or whatever they are.

I got a big bunch of valonia on my frag rack, that hangs near the top back of my tank. Emeralds don't get up there, so it was the only spot, and it turned into a golfball sized clump of spheres.

After about a month, it just shriveled up and went away. I can only assume it was a water quality improvement.

Nate

>I knew your method of just letting them run their course was not going to get you anywhere good <

The method does work. It just taks a long time for the bubbles to go away. I had this problem in my older tank in the first year but after the first year i've never seen a bubble anymore in that tank.

I'd agree with Armando. It works, but water conditions have to be kept top notch, and that may not be possible in a moderately stocked system. I had only 4 fish in a 120g system when my valonia was dying

Back