Value of tank roughly NOT SELLING HERE

BobbySchulze

Non-member
Note, I am not selling my tank on here, as I vaguely remember reading trades/sales were not permitted on here. I was simply looking for a rough estimation of value of my setup.
I have an 85 gallon reef setup tank w/ 35 gallon sump, stand with it, T5 lighting, not sure of the protein skimmer brand/ect but I can check it. Would come with about an 1in-2in sand, live rock, pump, ect.
I figured I could figure out the values of the pieces individually, but I figured i'd ask you guys right off the bat the rough value.
Like, a starting value, or minimum

Last edited:
Actually you are welcome to offer your tank for sale here. We don't allow people to sell set up after set up as that starts to become a commercial thing, but selling say one or two systems in a years time is perfectly acceptable in terms of BRS rules. BRS rules do require prices, either one price for everything, or individual prices for each item. Auction style sales are not allowed, and "just make an offer" is not allowed. Stating a starting price "or best offer" is allowed.

That said, for me it's hard to say a value based on the info you listed so far. Could you add more specifics and possibly some pictures? If you don't know the brands of the equipment we can probably help you figure it out based on some pics.

If you haven't been able to figure out how to post pics shoot me a PM and I can help you with that.

Can do, I have an exam tomorrow, so I'm going to deal with that and get back to you. But for the moment, I have the lighting box next to me, Solarmax H.O. 48" T5 system, (54Wx2) and some night LEDs. Looks to be about 150 new, and I assume most things drop to about 1/4 to 1/2 value resold?

Yup, sounds like you are about right in the pricing (which is a bummer as reefing equipment does tend to take a big hit when sold used).

LMK if you have trouble with pics, if so you can email some to me and I can post them for you.

Oh and while I'm here, I'm looking to sell my critters.
2 x Ocellaris clowns,
2x Sleeper Goldenhead Gobis,
1x cleaner shrimp,
1 BTA,
1x yellowtail damsel fish,
A few turbo snails, maybe 3?
1x young Hippo Tang
1.jpg

Here's a pic of the whole tank, will get critter-specific pics tomorrow, and probably throw in a pic w/ stand

I don't know the specific equipment, but a rule of thumb for equipment might be 1/3 of what you paid new...

Others should chime in

Are you sure it's an 85 Gal tank? Looks like it might be an standard 75 to me?

Ideally you should list the tank and other equipment in the equipment for sale forum, and the livestock in the respective livestock forums.

Equipment for sale forum;
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?18-Equipment-for-sale

Fish and other critters forum;
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?17-Critters-Rock-Plants-for-sale

And corals for sale forum;
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?16-Corals-for-sale

If you want to sell it fast, like in 1-2 days you can do the 1/3-1/4 pricing but I think a rule of thumb is that 50% of what you paid is about where things net out if its in fair shape.

However this does not apply to rocks..... You pay $8 a pound and resell it for about $2 a pound if you're lucky.

I'll go post there, I still for the life of me can't find a brand name on the protein skimmer, and never had the box as I has bought the tank as a package.
The sump is like so
Photo0105_001.jpg
I ripped this image off the web, but it's the exact same sump. Just figured a pic of it under tank wouldn't work as well.

Back