Visiting Boston--Any good LFS worth stopping at?

schneijt

Non-member
Hello,

My parter Jon and I will be in Boston (from WI) for Spring Break on 3/19 through 3/23. I'm wondering if there are any good LFS that I should stop by while I'm there. I can't buy any livestock, of course, but it's always nice to see well-run stores and maybe buy some drygoods for my 75gal sps reef. So, if you have any favorites I should visit, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks!
Joe Schneider

Coral Reef Aquarium in Seekonk MA (about 45 min south of the city) is really excellent. One of my favorites. AquaAddicts in Salem NH (about 45 min north of the city) is nice if you're up that way.

Both have Sponsor Forums here on BRS.

Aquarium Gallery in Hudson NH if you head that way as well, maybe 30min from the city? They have a forum on the site aslo.

I would recomend checking out Tropic Isle .

Now before anyone flames me..... they have a crapload of tanks, and tons of livestock to drool over.

It's almost always interesting to look at their stuff.

If you're not really buying anything....doesn't hurt to look.

Skiptons is "in" Boston. The Aquarium Gallery and Aqua Addicts aren't too far from each other, north of the city. CRA and Sea Creature Aquarium aren't too far from each other, south of the city.

I haven't been anywhere for quite a while as my display tank isn't set up but these are the places I'll be hitting up when I'm back online.

Coral Reef Aquarium in Seekonk MA (about 45 min south of the city) is really excellent. One of my favorites.

I'd respectfully suggest that you aren't going to get from anywhere in Boston to CRA in 45 minutes, unless you're on Deval Patrick's personal helicopter, since it's 55 miles by google maps. It's still worth the trip, even at an hour+ drive.

Wow, lots of replies! I'm looking for stuff right in or very close to Boston, so those a fair distance "out of the way" are not an option. But still, it sounds like I've got some places to visit, for sure!

Thanks all,
Joe Schneider

Out of curiosty, where are you coming in from? I'd be curious as to how you feel our region compares to yours once you've had a look around :)

If your just in boston, skiptons is the place. Acessible by the T (that's what we call the subway). Everywhere else is a good drive, but worth it.

Out of curiosty, where are you coming in from? I'd be curious as to how you feel our region compares to yours once you've had a look around :)

Sorry to reply so late, but this trip tomorrow has been at the back of my mind for a couple weeks.

I'm coming from Eau Claire, WI (about an hour and a half's drive east of the Twin Cities, right on I-94).

I'm expecting Skipton's to blow me away compared to the three places that sell SW fish/supplies in Eau Claire. I only buy livestock from a store called All-Reef in Hudson, WI, right along the WI/MN border. Peggy Nelson runs that store out of her basement, and she's the only person I've seen treat livestock and customers the way that I think is necessary in this hobby. So, I'm hoping that Skipton's will impress me as much as All-Reef here in WI.

I always love seeing what's out there when I'm outside of my region of the country, and I'll be sure to let you all know my impressions of Skipton's after I've been there in a couple days!

Thanks everyone,
Joe Schneider

Well, I visited Skipton today. A good half hour later, I walked away with nearly $150 less in my checking account... :) Here are my thoughts:

As far as other pets, I wouldn't recommend Skipton. The people working behind the front desk were very loud, unhelpful, and spent the majority of their time not helping customers, but chit-chatting with each other about a diverse number of subjects, several of which I didn't think were worthy of being shouted for all to hear in the store.

However, as far as the aquatics area, I very much enjoyed Skipton's. The guy working on the tanks was very friendly and seemed to enjoy having some "reef talk" with me as I browsed and he worked. He admitted that the stock of fish was low at the time, but even with "low stock" there were plenty of healthy-looking fish to be purchased. Perhaps the nicest thing was him explaining the two-week QT period before fish are moved into the "for-sale" tanks. This was the first time I'd ever seen a retail store open to the public that actually quarentined fish so thoroughly in a seperate set of tanks. As far as the dry goods, the selection was quite good. I got Poly Filter, a MaxiJet 600, some Chemi Pure, some ROWAphos, some kalk, and some mag additive. All stuff that I needed but really didn't want to buy online. The best part is, I still have money left over from my "fish budget." So, now I can get some other stuff online that I need!

One thing I did note was that I never saw a skimmer running on the tanks at Skipton. I'm sure there was one, but I never saw the "mega huge commercial skimmer" that I kind of expected to see there. Oh well, that's life. Overall, this store was great, and far surpassed the large LFS that I've been to in the Twin Cities. The prices weren't too bad, the fish guy was helpful, and the selection of dry goods far surpassed anything I've seen yet at a retail store. Also, they didn't carry anything that I would consider to be a "bad product." Anything that is universally known to be a poor product is not carried at Skipton's. This leads me to believe they know what they're doing, which I'd expect of them.

As far as back home, I'm still very glad to have Peggy at All-Reef, the LFS I go to to buy my stuff in WI. She also has good prices, good selection, healthy livestock, etc. Naturally, she can't have a huge retail operation like Skipton's in her basement. But, she goes out of her way to make me, the customer, happy. I like that. So, though the size of the store may vary, the customer service doesn't. This was a trip well worth it for me, and Skipton's made Boston all the better for me!

Thanks for all your help, everyone,
Joe Schneider

Skipton's skimmer

Joe,

I was lucky enough to go down to the basement at Skipton's, back when I was just learning, and Steve was showing me how they did it. I'm not a big person, but suffice to say their skimmer was bigger than I was...

Rick

Ah yes, a basement. That never popped into my mind. That sure would be a good place to put a big skimmer. Maybe I should've asked how they did it; I also could've gotten a tour of how they run their systems! Darn... :rolleyes:

-Joe

Back