want to move into spf

JimmyC

Non-member
Hi ,
I have currently a 90 gallon tank with a 55 gal sump and another 55 gal refugen and am putting on a 30 long frag tank soon. I have been using on my display tank half leds on one side and t5s on the other to see what produced better ,well LEDs won so now I'm building a full LED hood for it now. I have numerous soft corals and wanted to start spf. I am going to start dosing vodka ( which im looking into a pump , any suggestions would be great:eek:) so I can bring down my nitrates , I am running GFO for phosphates. I am also using a reactor with Carbon. I am using a G3 skimmer and I have about 200+ lbs of live rock in the system in various places. SO I want to slowly move into spf and was just looking for advice before I introduce any coral. Thanks

Jim

Do you mean SPS?

I carbon dose vinegar and use a cole parmer peristaltic pump controlled by an APEX controller (any digital timer ought to work to control the dose) for the dosing. I'd be hesitant to use a cheaper dosing pump, and especially with vodka (because it's 8x stronger) I would only want to be using a very slow pump head since the dose would be quite small anyway.

If you are looking to get into carbon dosing you might want to back off on the GFO temporarily as you dial in the carbon dose. (if you were keeping the phoshpate super low by running lots of GFO, then you might limit your ability to bring down the nitrate via carbon dosing. That said, it usually works the opposite way and GFO is needed with the carbon dosing, but just be aware that aggressive GFO use could interfere with the process)

HA Ha HA ya SPS!!! Sorry at work and typing while talking to the boss and brain is moving faster than my hands. Thanks for the info. I will do that.

I'm probably going to dose by hand for a while til I can get the cash flow for a good pump or if one shows up on BRS.

Back