Water test results 6/28

thank you Josh ;)

OK can fix my alk and ca but
what the heck my phosphates went up from .51 to .57?
gonna try mangroves and changing out my feric oxide every 10 days
any clue as to how much I should use?

Last edited:
Dawn, how much can your PO4 reactor hold? For the 2 little fishes ones they recommend 150 grams for 150 gallons in their reactor. This happens to fill the reactor 1/3rd of the way, so fill your reactor up about a third and you should be all set. Also make sure that the water is being taken from where the overflows dump and emptying back into the sump where the return sucks water from so that you minimize the same water running through without going back up to the tank first. Also depending on how much your reactor holds you may want to add a second or a third. Also make sure you are running no more than 100gph through the reactor, otherwise the contact time isn't long enough to be effective and the gfo can actually disintegrate from too high flow.

thank you Josh ;)

OK can fix my alk and ca but
what the heck my phosphates went up from .51 to .57?
gonna try mangroves and changing out my feric oxide every 10 days
any clue as to how much I should use?

That .06 difference in the measurement could just be the variance of the test. I don't remember what that amount is but I believe it is more that .06 +/- even with the Hannah low range meter (that is only IIRC).

That .06 difference in the measurement could just be the variance of the test. I don't remember what that amount is but I believe it is more that .06 +/- even with the Hannah low range meter (that is only IIRC).

It could also be that it's been a while and She could have upped her feedings or any other variable like not changing the gfo on a regular basis.

i'm surprised with all the low CA readings... mine is sky high all the time now it seems. Although maybe my kit is reading high too.... wish i had remembered a sample for you to test.

specs state +- .01

Huh,this is the second time everyone's calcium seems a bit on the low side.Did most of you expect that reading,or was your test kits reading higher at home?

>what the heck my phosphates went up from .51 to .57?
gonna try mangroves <

I wouldn't suggest mangroves. While they may be fun for our hobby, they are not something that are going to remove an significant about of phosphate from a tank. I'd consider growing some sort of macro algae. Some large water changes are also probably in order.

Back