What are you running for MH bulbs

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
I am running (3) 250 watt MH aqualine 10k bulbs with (4) 24watt actinic bulbs. I love the look when the actinics are on alone but when I am running everything the water looks to.......looking for the correct wording.........whitish, alomst cloudy look I guess. Is there a bulb that would give a more pleasing to the eye look and still have all that my corals will need?

I run 2-250 xm 10k se bulbs on IC E-ballast with 2-ATI T5 blue plus bulbs overdriven by IC660 ballast to approx 160w. When you say whitish, do you mean the water isn't crystal clear? Maybe it is just the sand still settling and the bacteria still keeping up. Do you run carbon??

Maybe you're looking for a warmer look? You could try a 10K bulb that isn't as blue. I think the AB bulbs are on the cooler end of the range.

I've got a 20K XM and 2 10K Ushios, all 175w MHs.

wrassefan said:
I run 2-250 xm 10k se bulbs on IC E-ballast with 2-ATI T5 blue plus bulbs overdriven by IC660 ballast to approx 160w. When you say whitish, do you mean the water isn't crystal clear? Maybe it is just the sand still settling and the bacteria still keeping up. Do you run carbon??

That could be part of what is happening because it isn't crystal clear like my other tank. The tank has only been running for a month now and only a week on the skimmer so some settling may still need to take place. I am running as much carbon as I can in a Filstar XP1 Canister. Iam now thinking it isn't big enough and a larger canister is in my near future.

NateHanson said:
Maybe you're looking for a warmer look? You could try a 10K bulb that isn't as blue. I think the AB bulbs are on the cooler end of the range.

I've got a 20K XM and 2 10K Ushios, all 175w MHs.

I guess that is a good discription of what I am looking for. The 3 10k bulbs I am running aren't blue at all actually.

Kevin, it might be as simple as just letting everything age a bit and seems like overnight, the water turns crystal clear. I would change the carbon if it is older than 2.5-3weeks. That might help. You could also throw in an extra bag of carbon at the end of the overflow tube in your sump. I would just be patient... your lighting sounds fine and might change a bit once the bulbs burn it alittle more.

wrassefan said:
Kevin, it might be as simple as just letting everything age a bit and seems like overnight, the water turns crystal clear. I would change the carbon if it is older than 2.5-3weeks. That might help. You could also throw in an extra bag of carbon at the end of the overflow tube in your sump. I would just be patient... your lighting sounds fine and might change a bit once the bulbs burn it alittle more.

Thanks I will do just that.I will add an extra bag this weekend.

I think most bulbs get more yellow as they age.

I actually liked the look that the 6500k 175watt gave to my tank and it is taking a little getting used to for the new brighter whiter lights.

If by whiter you meen that it almost looks like an overexposed picture to the eye, try brightening the room light a bit.

I run Aquaconnect se and love them,they are very bright for a 14k bulb and give a crisp blue white light,no need for actinics.
-Liam.

~Flighty~ said:
I think most bulbs get more yellow as they age.

I think that is what has happened Cindy, They were in the lighting fixture when I bought it and I am not to sure the age of the bulbs.

Next question, when I go to buy new bulbs are there any recommendations for suppliers?

Back