what do i need to complete a calcium reactor?

Mr.Rodrigo502

Non-member
ok so for my new setup, im using a calcium reactor...this is the first time i use or install one...so idk what the heck i need to make a complete setup....so far i have collected:

1) mrc-2 dual chamber calcium reactor with feeder and circulating(from rayd)
2)Aquarium plants regulator and solenoid (from stevenp)
3)1g Extra coarse media

i know im missing a co2 tank....but what else :confused: ?
and if u have any items i may need and want to get rid of them.. lmk
:Dthanks!

You need the Co2 tank of course, and if you don't already have one there should be a check valve for the Co2 line between the tank and the reactor. You will want a bubble counter, but this may be built into the regulator. You will want a needle valve if the regulator doesn't have one built in. Also if you are going to use a controller you will need a solenoid which also may or maynot already be attached to the regulator.

The only other thing I can think of is "Co2 safe" tubing to connect the tank to the reactor, but I don't know if this is really necessary (as compared to standard airline).

You need the Co2 tank of course, and if you don't already have one there should be a check valve for the Co2 line between the tank and the reactor. You will want a bubble counter, but this may be built into the regulator. You will want a needle valve if the regulator doesn't have one built in. Also if you are going to use a controller you will need a solenoid which also may or maynot already be attached to the regulator.

The only other thing I can think of is "Co2 safe" tubing to connect the tank to the reactor, but I don't know if this is really necessary (as compared to standard airline).

i have an commercial account with arco welding supply...i can maybe get the co2 safe line from there...the regulator im using is this one:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and no i dont have a co2 tank............yet!
the recirculating pump is a panworld pump and im thinkin a mj1200 feeder? ir is it to strong or week?

That is a top end regulator. You don't need the bubble counter or needle valve. The only thing you might be missing is a check valve??

While you're at the welding place picking up the tank, you can ask those guys if the special tubing is really needed. IIRC regular tubing works, but will become brittle or something like that with prolonged exposure to the gas (I may have that totally wrong, check elsewhere before listening to me on it)

The one thing I will suggest is a pH controller as a backup to maintain pH in the reactor chamber. This will keep pH from plumiting to dangerous levels if someone were to accidentally adjust your regulator without you knowing. I have seen this happen to one person I know when his daughter played with the nob on the regulator and nuked his tank.

I would get a controller. Trying to maintain RX PH without one is a PITA, even with that regulator and solenoid. Too low of a PH will turn your media to soup, all it takes is a plugged effluent.

+1 on a pH controller... and in case it's not clear, you want a pH controller and NOT a pH meter. The controller will simulate an isolated electrical blackout to your solenoid and shut off the co2 feed when the pH reaches a pre-set point. I use a Milwaukee.

Also, you didn't say what kind of media you are using. I like ARM because it dissolves clean and at a higher pH than other media (so you don't have to drive down the pH in your reactor as far).

Aquariumplants (same mfgr of your regulator) has a medical grade check value... great for making sure that salt water doesn't backflow into your regulator. Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but I just didn't feel great using a $3 check value. The medical grade one is $15 iirc.

Last edited:
+1 on a ph controller... And in case it's not clear, you want a ph controller and not a ph meter. The controller will simulate an isolated electrical blackout to your solenoid and shut off the co2 feed when the ph reaches a pre-set point. I use a milwaukee.

Also, you didn't say what kind of media you are using. I like arm because it dissolves clean and at a higher ph than other media (so you don't have to drive down the ph in your reactor as far).

Aquariumplants (same mfgr of your regulator) has a medical grade check value... Great for making sure that salt water doesn't backflow into your regulator. Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but i just didn't feel great using a $3 check value. The medical grade one is $15 iirc.

lol this almost happened to me today....i was going to purchase a ph monitor......luckily i did some research. Found out i need a controller not a monitor...i already have a ph probe connected to my reefkeeper.........................

the one thing i will suggest is a ph controller as a backup to maintain ph in the reactor chamber. This will keep ph from plumiting to dangerous levels if someone were to accidentally adjust your regulator without you knowing. I have seen this happen to one person i know when his daughter played with the nob on the regulator and nuked his tank.

wow that really sucks!!!!! Well everyone in my house respects my tank........them touching my tank or equipment is like trying to pet an angry dog growling at u.......lol

lol this almost happened to me today....i was going to purchase a ph monitor......luckily i did some research. Found out i need a controller not a monitor...i already have a ph probe connected to my reefkeeper.........................

Is there an add on module to support another PH probe? I was about to suggest a system controller over a PH controller, since PH controllers are darn expensive for something that only controls one thing (as compared to even the simplest system controller)

Is there an add on module to support another PH probe? I was about to suggest a system controller over a PH controller, since PH controllers are darn expensive for something that only controls one thing (as compared to even the simplest system controller)

Hmmmmm I think I know where u are trying to get to..... U suggest to get another ph probe and connect it to one of the control's modules and control the ph from there right? Or would there be a special accessory or add on to my teetotaler to do this?

Do you have a Lite or an Elite? You can add a second SL1 or an SL2 to control the reactor. The only issue is if you have a Lite it counts against the 4 module limit and may cause you needing to upgrade to an Elite.

Level 3 is 2 PC4s and an SL1. You said your LEDs are connected, are you dimming with an ALC, if so then your at your max for modules otherwise your fine to add the second SL1 or SL2.

Back