What Do People Use for Backup System?

Generators should be run outside because of the carbon monoxide they output. Also, do not forget to ground your generator with a 15 foot grounding rod driven into the earth. This, plus unplugging the generator when not in use, will protedt you against lightining strikes that could cause a house fire.

I put mine in the garage for now. My husband is going to install wheels so it's easy to pull it outside when we need to turn it on.

Hi Rick & Sandy - I was thinking about you guys yesterday. How did you make out? Hopefully you were lucky like Jim! Thanks for the link - very informative. I've decided to go the Tripp-Lite route - that link will help me decide on a battery. Thanks!

Daire

That trip lite is a good choice.
Even though I have the "wrong batteries on it I got 10+ hours from it. Then switched over to a power inverter. The problem with both these options is they don't run heat. We spent all day yesterday heating water on the wood stove for mini "warm water changes" and still only maintained 74 f, Which is no big deal because I run my tanks cool anyhow 76-77.

Last edited:
Marc! Glad to hear from you! I was worried about you guys. How long were you without power?? I've been doing a lot of research over the past day or so on these backups. Rick & Sandy gave me the RC post on your setup (which is the one we already talked about). Is there one out there that can run a heater? My tank got down to about 75 - I was using hot water baggies to try to keep the heat up. How did the store make out?

Store was fine thanks for asking.
At home we were without power for about 15 hours. Temp was an issue (72 the low) but I run cool anyhow so no ill effects.

That is the same as the Tripp-Lite product. They both sound good. The Tripp-Lite has a 1000W version too. That's the one I'm going with.

FWIW
Jemco is a class act and it is where I bought mine. However it is just a relabeled triplite.

Home Depot in NH sells a 3000W FULLY AUTOMATIC generator for either $900 or $999. This comes with everything you need including an outdoor sound reducing enclosure, the automatic transfer switch and all cables. On the box it claims that VERY little wiring is needed. What that means exactly I am not sure.

I had been looking at the Generac 10K automatic generator at Home Depot for some time but it's $2600 + install, although I could do it myself probably.

I have a Generac 6500K generator that I wired directly to a 220 30amp breaker that remains off in my panel. When we lose power I simply close the main feed circuit(VERY IMPORTANT or a repair man could be killed) and close a few other non essential circuits and then connect the 220 breaker which backfeeds into my entire panel. This way I can run any device in my house as needed. 6500K is a bit small so I must choose what I need.

Mike,

From what I gather in your reply, does it mean that it's not really 'automatic'? So if I go on vacation and the power fails, it won't automatically kick in?

Lam said:
Mike,

From what I gather in your reply, does it mean that it's not really 'automatic'? So if I go on vacation and the power fails, it won't automatically kick in?
His system is manual because he is shutting off circuits and then activating the 20amp letting the generator power into his panel.

The EPS SUMP PUMP GUARDIAN has 2800va/1680W (see the link in my last post) and includes the battery, the inverter, etc and costs $429.00....not bad!

Back