What else should I do/check before anything else dies??

I would check the new fish a blenny if a lawnmower is easy to miss

airate the tank and have someone nearby use their test kits to test your parameters or go buy an old fashion ph test kit

Last edited:
the thought crossed my mind but nope not the new fish. The cardinal was in the fuge not in the main tank. The blenny dissapeared days before the new fish. The mandarin was found this morning intact but dead. The royal gramma just dissapeared sometime this afternoon. The new fish is very peaceful and has been in Scott Merrils and Rays systems for a long time now.

copper..........Have you changed your ro/di membrane lately? Checked the tds of your product water?

copper wont harm fish it will harm inverts. The inverts are fine its the fish that are dropping. Many lfs use copper in all the fish tanks.. I will check the tds though, the ro/di filters are new but the membrane isnt. I do have a copper test kit too i think.

edit: just checked ro/di 250 in/ 0 out.

Last edited:
Maybe replace your carbon or add carbon if you're not running it. In case some chemical got into the tank somehow.

Its a good thought nate but im not running any carbon nor do i have anything to use to run it right now. I dont know how any chemical could have got in, I have not sprayed anything or used anything like paint or glue in the house at all. The only possibility could be remnants of soap or lotion on my hands but I am always careful to rinse/wash my hands very well before putting them in the tank.

Perhaps I should pick something up to run carbon in

Jeff, I would put some carbon in a mesh bag into the sump drain or return flow area. I usually drop a bag in my overflow area. Strange what's happening to your fish. Have you checked for ammonia and nitrite just for kicks?? I know most of us don't but if one fish died, it can trigger ammonia. Maybe a snail or 3 bit the bullet at the same time?? Just thinking out loud for ya'.

stang8s said:
copper wont harm fish it will harm inverts. The inverts are fine its the fish that are dropping. Many lfs use copper in all the fish tanks.. I will check the tds though, the ro/di filters are new but the membrane isnt. I do have a copper test kit too i think.

edit: just checked ro/di 250 in/ 0 out.
At high levels it will cause big time stress & long term will cause death. Glad to see your at a tds of 000. It was just an area I thought warranted a look. By the way, all hobby test kits will not provide you with a sutable copper range that is sufficient for hosting corals. The salt matrix interupts the accuracy of hobby test kits. But that is for another thread at another time!! :)

Back