What heater is everyone using?

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Title says it all!
I need to get heaters for the new build and I'm not sure if I go with Finnex like I have already or try something new.
Let me know.
Thanks!
-Mike

I will recommend and I am using this heater:
hygger Aquarium Heater 300W/500W/800W/1000W, Submersible Fish Tank Heater with Digital LED Controller and Intelligent Leaving Water Automatically Stop Heating System, for Freshwater and Saltwater https://a.co/d/ehbtbIE

Here are the reasons why:
1. The trusted Eheim heaters are being phased out and their new e series heaters is expensive.
2. This heater uses quartz heating elements instead of metal. Unless the heating element is made out of pure titanium, it can potentially leak heavy metal in the water over time.
3. The temperature sensor is built in with the heating elements so that it avoids the scenario that the sensor can accidentally pop out of water and cook the tank.
4. The temperature controller is out of water.

1. The trusted Eheim heaters are being phased out and their new e series heaters is expensive.
2. This heater uses quartz heating elements instead of metal. Unless the heating element is made out of pure titanium, it can potentially leak heavy metal in the water over time.
3. The temperature sensor is built in with the heating elements so that it avoids the scenario that the sensor can accidentally pop out of water and cook the tank.
I like this answer as get addresses what I think is one of the most important aspects of heating a tank. Redundancy and protecting it from overheating.

Thank everyone. I've been using Finnex for the last 5 years or so. May just go with another one but Dong brings up some compelling evidence to go with the Hyggar lol. We will see!

How long have you been running this hearer? There's lots of reviews that say the heater stopped working within the first 6 months. Or, stray voltage..

For alternative, I use Aqueon preset heaters.
I found them very accurate for temperature at 78 F.
It is a bit higher temperature than I like but the accuracy and reliability are far more important. Many heaters fail due to the seals for the temperature adjustments parts (the seals gave up). By eliminating the seals, the heaters are far more reliable.

For alternative, I use Aqueon preset heaters.
I found them very accurate for temperature at 78 F.
It is a bit higher temperature than I like but the accuracy and reliability are far more important. Many heaters fail due to the seals for the temperature adjustments parts (the seals gave up). By eliminating the seals, the heaters are far more reliable.
Like the Aqueon pro from petco??

Back