What Lighting Should I go with!!

niakon22

Reefer
Hi Everyone,

I just got the 37g marineland tank and this is the dimensions of my tank

30-1/2"L x 12-7/16"W x 22-3/4"H

Im thinking of metal halide what decent lighting could i get or setup should I do. I would love to hear what everyone opinon is

thanks

i would go with t-5 tek light, it will not over heat your tank and wont coast you an arm and a leg in your electric bill. i use an 8 bulb t-5 tek light over my 120 and i keep sps and clams with no problem. and you get to play with the bulbs a little so it will have a different look.

Im having an issue tryign to find a size light cause the tank i have is a 30.5 so i dont have much light options as to put on int

i would go with t-5 tek light, it will not over heat your tank and wont coast you an arm and a leg in your electric bill. i use an 8 bulb t-5 tek light over my 120 and i keep sps and clams with no problem. and you get to play with the bulbs a little so it will have a different look.

I'm debating my lighting setup right now as well, but it seems like with the right t-5's you can keep just about anything. Generally speaking sps require higher light than lps? Do I have that correct?? I'm interested in having frogspawn down the road, so i was just curious.

Also, what bulb mix do you use with the 8 bulb tek??

It might start to get difficult to fit 8 T5s across a 12" wide tank.

so 4 bulb should be ok for my tank.. what is the big diffrence in t5 and pc's i coulnt tell the diffrence

I wouldn't go with halide in that size tank, unless you can deal with potential heat issues.

Correct, but Frogspawn doesn't really need that powerful lighting.
I kept it in a 55 with 260 watts PC on the bottom.

On the other hand, given the dimensions of the tank, it might well be suited to a single MH pendant if the heat could be managed effectively?

Could also do well with a DIY LED fixture with optics to match the depth of the tank?

IMO this tank isn't as well suited to T5s because it's narrow and deep. IMO MH or LED would be better matched to the tank.

I use an aquatic life 36" fixture over my 30" tank. Looks a bit funky, but it works.
Sps and Lps and softies/zoo, acans on bottoms 2" no problem
Mine is the same tank as yours. If you haven't bought it already-don't.
It's hard to light, it's hard to clean, it's hard to scape.

If you can get the above to work, it looks good.

Last edited:
looks like your tank's surface area is about the same as my corner tank (36g), 396 yours vs 432 mine
I was also looking for a light but wanted to stay away from MH since they can overheat small bodies of water on a summer day.
I used to have a PC, then a T5 but opted for LED's in the end
The LED's I have are equal to a 175Mh w/o all the heat.
Same shimmer but I can control the amount of actinic in relation to the white led's.
Using LED's as I mentioned before dosen't add any heat but I believe won't require me to change bulbs for at least another 5 years.
LED's are supposed to last about 50,000 hours before there is some degradation.
I thought that 1st I could always sell this in the future if I needed and not lose any $$
2nd replacement of bulbs is eliminated
3rd no heat buildup so no need for chillers or fans
4th it can be a DIY project and can fit your tank perfectly, it will be your choice on the heatsink
5th similar or cheaper than a new MH w/T-5 actinic
all in all I think LED's is a better option always

Check out the Aqua Illumination SOL super blue LED modules. I just ordered 4 of these for my tank. They are a little pricey so IMO you could probably get away with only one if you mount it long ways (parallel with the length) although two would be desirable if only for usable coverage. The good thing about these is you can buy one now and see how you like it and then add the second one at a later date if so desired.

A good source for specs:
http://www.saltysupply.com/Aqua-Illuminations-SOL-Super-Blue-Modular-LED-Ligh-p/ss534000.htm

Check out these links from fellow Boston reefers:
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?106575-Got-my-LEDs!&highlight=paul
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...20-Tech-Softy-s-Tank-Upgrade&highlight=ronnie

Last edited:
Yeah definitely LED. Off-the-shelf if you can budget it (the AI's are awesome!!!). Or you can save a TON of money by going DIY, but you need to feel comfortable doing something like that of course.

I'm willing to bet if you don't do LED, then you're going to buy something else and a few months later you're going to be thinking, "man, I wish I'd gone with LEDs."

if you go with the LED's for what ever device, you should try and get ones with a 3 watt output rather than a 1 watt.
I mention this as when you start looking around there are all types and prices out there
the fixture mentioned below is a great light but might be more than your willing to spend
thats why DIY works and if I can do it, anyone can.
I'll agree that the store bought one is prettier to look at but it all depends on what you want.
just be sure to get something with a future

Back