What pH Controler are you guys using?

Hale

Soggy Sleeves
I am going to buy a new pH Controler to manage my K2R Calcium Reactor. Not sure which one.
RC1711_1.jpg

http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Fanatic_pH_Controller_Single_Item_Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Reef_Fanatics-RC1711-FITEMOID-vi.html
I was told by a fellow reefer that he manages his Ca Reactor like this: "If the pH of the effulient coming out of my reactor is higher than 6.5 I automatically shutoff the regulator then turn it back on when the pH drops to 6.3."

What parts do I need to control the CO2 regulator like this?
Would this controler above do everything? I have a regulator with a selonoid valve already.
or
Is there a better one you can recommend?

Thanks, -Hale

I used a pinpoint for a few yrs. It worked well, but part of the display went out reccently which was pretty disappointing on a $170 piece of equipment.

If I could do it over again, I would definately go with a basic system controller. It wouldn't cost much more, but you could do SOO much more with it.

See this thread for some related chit chat;
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76296

$200? At that price maybe think about just getting a ReefKeeper Lite?

I have a ReefKeeper Elite as my controller and it works great. Very versatile.

I have the "Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite Controller RKE Complete System w/ Net" in my shopping cart.
(Delivered @ $501.74)
But I'm not made of money, so I am just sitting on it for a while.

I don't know enough about the system yet.-Wish I could get a sneak-peak at the owners manual. Just wondering what add-ons/extra parts or fittings I may need. Hope I don't order this elephant and find out that I need some more stuff to make it work. I just need ph for my calcium reactor right now. Everything else is a bonus, and I'm sure it will be fun setting up all the other options.

I've been looking as well.

The impression I've gotten is that the Apex has a lot more to offer in that price range. Some bugs being worked out, but overall seemed like the clear winner to me.

Just $.02

you can go to DAs website to access their support forum the manuals are there. as for additional things it woulf depend on what you wwant to do. the system in your cart will do pH and temp monitoring so you can controlheaters fans and CA reactord. An ATO setup would require the float switch and they connect to the SL1 that is part of that package.
Also on their forum you can see a area for modules this lists all of them and ones currently being developed like the tunze module.
i would give links but im on my phone.

I have been researching these, and ready to pull the trigger on the RKE. At the last minute I bought the Apex lite. It is going to do everything I need, but I dont have a calcium reactor. I got the Apex, because they are coming out with the module to control a MP40, and it came with the software, and the ability to go on the Net. I got it at marine Depot, and should be here on Fri:D. If you call them, and ask for service the guys are great, and will answer all your questions.

Good Luck derek

I have the RKE but use the pH probe to monitor the system. I have the controller pictured in your first post managing the pH in my calcium reactor. And then I have a pH monitor for the QT! So yes -- once a month I calibrate three probes! I really like the RKE -- at the moment it controls one pump, temp, lights and ATO. It monitors pH and ORP. I do have the net module but I have Hughes Net (satellite) for internet and cannot access it when not at home as they block the access. I understand the Apex controller is good too.

I have the RKE but use the pH probe to monitor the system. I have the controller pictured in your first post managing the pH in my calcium reactor.

I have the same... RKE on my system and that same controller on my calc reactor.

So yes -- once a month I calibrate three probes!

Hmmm... once a month? Guess I know what I will be doing this weekend.

I was told by a fellow reefer that he manages his Ca Reactor like this: "If the pH of the effulient coming out of my reactor is higher than 6.5 I automatically shutoff the regulator then turn it back on when the pH drops to 6.3."

I think that is backwards... if the effluent coming out of the reactor is higher than 6.5 you should turn the regulator on and turn it off when the pH drops to 6.3. Basically keeping the pH between 6.3 and 6.5

The CO2 will lower the pH causing the the media to dissolve. So, you want to turn it off when it gets too low and on when it gets too high.

A good article is : http://www.melevsreef.com/calcium_reactor.html

I have the "Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite Controller RKE Complete System w/ Net" in my shopping cart.
(Delivered @ $501.74)
But I'm not made of money, so I am just sitting on it for a while.

I don't know enough about the system yet.-Wish I could get a sneak-peak at the owners manual. Just wondering what add-ons/extra parts or fittings I may need. Hope I don't order this elephant and find out that I need some more stuff to make it work. I just need ph for my calcium reactor right now. Everything else is a bonus, and I'm sure it will be fun setting up all the other options.
I was just thinking if you're going to spend $200 on that controller you could get an RKE to do that and more. Then you could just expand as you need and eventually just swap out the head unit if you really end up wanting the Elite head unit instead of the Lite. The RKL can do NET too BTW.

I have the same... RKE on my system and that same controller on my calc reactor.

Is there any benefit to having a seperate controler just for your calc reactor? Can I do multiple pH probes on the RKE?

Is there any benefit to having a seperate controler just for your calc reactor? Can I do multiple pH probes on the RKE?

Yes, you can buy additional pods to add additional controllers to the RKE... I had the Micro-PH for the Calc reactor before I got the RKE.

BTW, I have the Network module on the RKE and can check my params thru the iphone of the web.. actually pretty sweet!

The people on reefcentral seem to like the Neptune Apex better.

I've had both, and currently use the Apex. I wanted net monitoring and control, Tunze control, and outlet naming. The RKE still lacks those things. Out of box, the Apex is a better value, giving you the choice of ph/ORP or pH/pH, built in server, dimmable outlets, and 6 switch inputs(RKE has 2).

I myself like the web based programming feature. I hear that the RKE system is working on that feature, but they don't offer it yet. Well, I think I'm going to get the Apex.

Now I have the RKE and the Apex in my cart.

FWIW the major 2.0 firmware upgrade for the RKE system (including web-based control) is finishing up beta testing and slated for release next month.

Back