what size pipe ?

nitrofish

reefing again!
ok I want to plumb my "vegi filter" refugium to my main tank the fuge will be fed by a main pump (say around 1200 gph) and the fuge that sits about 5" higher than my main tank will gravity feed my main tank.

how big of pipe do I need for my drain lines?

Attachments

• pipe size.JPG
    pipe size.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 187
I dont know for sure but is 1200 gal flow a bit high for a fuge. See what some of the others say but I would put a smaller pump in the tank and run that to the fuge and use the 1200 for the tanks return flow. What are you putting in your fuge cheto's some say like a fast flow but you want it slow enough to let the plants absorbe the nitrate and allow bugs to breed as well as a CO2 gas exchange.

quote:

A popular choice for refugium macroalgae among advanced aquarists in the United States is Chaetomorpha. Unlike Caulerpa, Chaetomorpha is multicellular and, as such, is inherently more stable. It can be cut and pruned aggressively with little or no fear of toxins being released or having vegetative crashes. And, like its namesake, it can also simply be thinned gently with ease like strands of spaghetti noodles. It is fast growing and makes an excellent vehicle for nutrient export! It is also highly adaptable to a very wide range of lighting [Tip: illuminate most macroalgae in refugia with at least 1 watt of light per liter of water at depths less than 30 cm]. Like most “vegetable-filter” algae species, moderate to strong water flow is necessary; keep a total water flow of at least 20X turnover of the volume of the culturing vessel.

right now ill be running about 700gph at that hight with the rio 3100 that im currently useing

Back