What size pump

mx3master1

Non-member
Dont know where to start but i have a 150 gallon DT with a 30 gallon sump in the stand on the first floor. i just spliced into my water supply downstairs and set up my RODI system. i have a 44 gallon brute bucket thats about a foot off the ground.

looking for suggestions on what size pump to use for an ATO, overall i figure it will need to be pumped 15 feet from bucket to top off my sump upstairs. and i would like to use the standard 1/4 line, only because i gotta drill a hole in the floor

not looking to spend three bills on a pump that will only pump a quart a day,
thanks for help...

Are you looking to flip a switch and add a gallon a day kinda thing. Or do you want the pump to kick on several times a day off of a float switch etc?

Looking to have float switch, just ordered a reefkeeper net. And I bought the two outlet remote pc to feed trough floor

I've never done this before. But this is a pretty interesting subject. Maybe try this RODI booster pump or one like it:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/ro-di-accessories/aquatec-8800-booster-pump-kit.html

It doesn't have any details on how much head pressure it can handle etc. I hate to assume, so you might want to call BRS or the like on this one, but i would assume that a 1/4" check valve a few feet off of the output of the booster pump, along with the booster pump's power supply being hooked into your float switch. I would imagine that any booster pump could do the trick considering they can put 60+ psi into an rodi unit.

Mint... Didn't know they made rodi booster pumps only because I always have had town water . But makes sense I'll call tomorrow and see what they say.
Thanks for your help

IMO those pumps aren't good choices for what you want to do,for many reasons. High power consumption,higher maintenance,may back siphon,not really made for constant on/off cycling...etc.
Your best bet would be to use a peristaltic pump...low power consumption, practically maintenance free, reliable and precise. Greg Hiller usually (used to anyhow) have some for sale.

You said three bills, how about 2 bills.
http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p7.htm

I use this ATO the same way that you do but my RODI storage is not elevated its on the floor. I have the pump located at my sump under my DT on the first floor, with a 1/4 line thru the floor to the storage barrel. I love how precise this is because I have no baffles in my sump and run a skimmer that is temperamental with water fluctuation.

If Im not mistaken there is one for sale in the equipment forum.

Edit: Here is the one for sale, not sure if he still has it. http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?130385-Spectrapure-NEW-ATO-Ultra-Precise-Level-control

Last edited:
IMO those pumps aren't good choices for what you want to do,for many reasons. High power consumption,higher maintenance,may back siphon,not really made for constant on/off cycling...etc.
Your best bet would be to use a peristaltic pump...low power consumption, practically maintenance free, reliable and precise. Greg Hiller usually (used to anyhow) have some for sale.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they do frequently go on and off on an RO unit with the help of their pressure sensor? Shouldn't really have to maintain it more than once a year if its only pumping RODI through it.

I would not use a booster pump for this application. If you already have a ATO setup and your just looking at the pump you could use the Bulk Reef 50ml dosing pump, about $100 its on sale right now. The only thing with this is it can not draw from that height so it needs to be located at the storage barrel and push the water up. The SpectraPure one I linked above can draw the water up from that height and is a full ATO system that uses a pressure switch with a backup high water float switch that shuts power off to the pump if the water level is too high.

Not all of them can, you also have to not whether its pulling or pushing from that head height, makes a difference if the pump needs to be located at the display due to ATO setup.

Osmolator wont cut it and a lot of dosing pumps are wannabee peristaltics....JK of course...they are peristaltic but to a much lesser degree.
My industrial grade peristaltic pump cost $80 and pumps up about 13' and along 3 walls behind the base board.Never a problem and cycles 15 times a day.Very important to space out the top off especially if topping off with..say kalkwasser.

+1. This is what I use. This thing can pump 25feet vertical!
I used to use the Tunze Osmolator but when I changed my controller to a Profilux with a built-in ATO, I decided to use a peristaltic pump. The first pump I used was a Profilux doser pump but doing ATO of more than 2 gallons a day with a this proved to be too much for the pump. I ended up stripping the head of the Profilux dosing pump in less than 4 months.
The spectrapure peristaltic is more robust and higher flow. I love it. I'll be getting a couple more when I get my automated waterchange set up.

I use this ATO the same way that you do but my RODI storage is not elevated its on the floor. I have the pump located at my sump under my DT on the first floor, with a 1/4 line thru the floor to the storage barrel. I love how precise this is because I have no baffles in my sump and run a skimmer that is temperamental with water fluctuation.

If Im not mistaken there is one for sale in the equipment forum.

Edit: Here is the one for sale, not sure if he still has it. http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?130385-Spectrapure-NEW-ATO-Ultra-Precise-Level-control

Yes I do, and they work great. The only reason I am not using it is because I have its big brother, a Liter Meter for top off and water change. I was going to us this for a frag tank I never set up.

Back